Kay's Reviews > Every Summer After

Every Summer After by Carley Fortune

bookshelves: contemporary, fiction, romance, canada

When I first saw the cover for Every Summer After, I immediately wanted to read it. I thought there was such a nostalgic quality to it, and it evoked summer and romance so perfectly I needed to know what it was about.

Every Summer After is a story about first love and second chances. Alternating between then and now, we get to watch Percy and Sam fall in love, knowing something will eventually break them apart. Though the dialogue didn’t always feel the most natural, I loved their interactions both in the past and the present and thought they were a good (though messy) match, and I was rooting for them.

I also loved everything about the setting. I could visualize the lake, the sunsets, the cottage, everything. I love when authors take the time to bring the setting to life, it anchors the characters into the story and makes it much more believable to me.

Honestly, based on vibes alone, I’d probably give this book a 5 stars, but there were a few things that kept me from completely loving it, the most important being the ending. I didn’t mind the “big reveal”, as I’d guessed it pretty early into the story, but it happened way too late. Percy and Sam barely had any time to work things through! The secret is revealed, there’s a few tears, apologies, and it ends. But the thing is, their relationship was so messy, the communication so lacking in some crucial aspects; in order to believe that they are solid, that this is their HEA, I needed to see them work things through some more, not just through the last 5 pages and a rushed epilogue.

In the same vein, I thought there was a bit too much “then” and not enough “now”. At times it felt almost more like a YA book. Which is interesting, because I know the book has been compared to Love and Other Words by Christina Lauren, which is one that I haven’t read yet (but now want to read soon so I can compare!) But I also thought there were a lot of parallels to The Summer I Turned Pretty series by Jenny Han. These were YA books, so of course more tame in content, but from what I remember, there were definitely some similar themes and twists.

All in all though, I really enjoyed this one. Every Summer after was a perfect summer read with both sweet and heartbreaking moments, a touch of nostalgia and a beautiful lake setting.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Every Summer After.

May 14, 2022 – Started Reading