Melanie's Reviews > Egotistical Puckboy

Egotistical Puckboy by Eden Finley

F 50x66

excellent plot, great characters, love the story

Rating: 4.75🌈

As the hockey teams are making their run for the Stanley Cup in real life, I had just finished one hockey series and was in need of another when this got my attention.

Egotistical Puckboy, the first in Eden Finley and Saxon James’ Puckboy series about hockey players getting their HEA. Needless to say, I’m in.

I so enjoyed this enemies to lovers romance about two egotistical fantastic NHL hockey players. The long time feud, fueled by misconceptions about each other, including one’s sexuality, is so well written.

The bigger than life personalities of both D-man Ezra Palaszczuk and winger Anton Hayes, huge egos to match their vast athletic talents on the ice, it’s all there on the page for the reader to love, cackle at, and ,yes, swoon over, as they warily stumble their way into a relationship and romance.

Authors Finley and James are careful that, when crafting this novel , all the important elements are brought in so it feels believable and a world we should want to invest ourselves into.

The games! The way the men fly across the ice, bodies moving, puck flashing, it’s pure awesomeness. It’s hockey! You can see these games and ,when or lose (they do both), you feel the emotional impact with them.

The men themselves are layered, their pasts, their passions, their pain.
Ezra Palaszczuk is someone who appears one dimensional, on purpose, but only as a barrier to hide the damage done by negligent , borderline abusive parents and the toll it continues to take on him.

Anton Hayes has his own personal issues to work through and it’s his relationship with Ez that allows him the different perspective to start on a new path and journey.

This story has so many great aspects to it. It’s a dynamic hockey book. It’s a sexy romance. It’s a thoughtful conversation about gay athletes in a major sport (see fabulous The Queer Collective element), what it means for queer youth to have representation. It’s also about knowing yourself well enough that you’re finally comfortable and feel safe to come out .

Like I said. There’s so much to Egotistical Puckboy (Puckboy #1) by Eden Finley and Saxon James. I love this. And I’m highly recommending it.

There’s a second story out. I’m onto that next.

It’s hockey season. Enjoy!

Puckboy series:
Egotistical Puckboy #1
Irresponsible Puckboy #2

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Egotistical Puckboy.

May 11, 2022 – Started Reading