Jo's Reviews > The Magician's Book: A Skeptic's Adventures in Narnia

Feb 22, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: etc
Read in March, 2009

At the beginning I liked it, but got bogged down in the middle & just sort of skimmed it to the end. Like the author, the Chronicles of Narnia werfe among my favorite books as a child. Like her, I never saw the alleged Christian imagery and, frankly, still don't (other than the sacrifice & resurrection of Aslan in The Lion, The Withch, And The Wardrobe), even though I am a Christian. And like her, I felt sort of betrayed when I found out it was supposed to be there -- though I felt better when I couldn't find it & figure it's being put on there by others because C.S.Lewis is who he is (a Christian Apologetic). But she seems to be rather more bitter than I ever became and though she says she's reconciled to it in her adult years, in this book she paints the books & Lewis with a fairly heavy, harsh brush. Also it's rather longer than it need be for interest. Wordy. But it is interesting to read of the influences on Lewis that colored the book & of his friendship with JRR Tolkien. It's not a horrible book, and it started out well, but it didn't maintain my interest very well.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magician's Book.

02/22/2009 page 176