Jessica Bell's Reviews > Milligan and Murphy

Milligan and Murphy by Jim  Murdoch

3801953

I'm going to start by saying that Jim Murdoch really is a very talented writer. His wit is dry, his dialogue clever and realistic, his prose matter-of-fact and concise. However, despite Mr Murdoch's obvious talent, it really didn't excite me much. I understood it. I'm pretty sure I 'got' it, (or perhaps I didn't because I haven't read much of Beckett), but I just felt a little tired while I was reading, not bored, tired--there's a difference.

But you know, I'm giving it four stars because it's a success in its own right. The lives of Milligan and Murphy WERE DULL, and they live in a DULL part of the world. They are middle-aged men setting out on an adventure of self-discovery, wandering from town to town, meeting different characters along the way. It worked. It was realistic. I did not LOVE it. But I appreciated it.

That said, it's still a good book. It's a well-written and intelligent book. I'm sure others will like it a lot more than me. And it's worth a gander, even if just for the intermittent chuckles you'll experience over a great line here and there.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Milligan and Murphy.

December 5, 2012 – Started Reading