Mark's Reviews > Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Aug 17, 2007

liked it
bookshelves: fantasy
Read in January, 2006

Although not a bad book, I found this to be the weakest book in the series. But that's beside the point isn't it? If you're reading the whole series you can't very well skip this one.

The main stream running through this installment is a sloooow recounting of how Lord Voldemort came to be like his is. To make room for that history lesson, most of the usual crowd (Hagrid, Neville, Luna, McGonagall, Remus, Fred, George, etc) have smaller parts. There is a side plot for Ron dealing with teen age romance, but since that boils down to the standard "Ron is a useless git" theme it isn't very satisfying.

This is also a book of lost opportunities to mature Harry. In book 5 Harry had to become a leader, but this book generally allows Harry to duck out of making hard choices. As Quidditch captain, fortunate events twice let him avoid choosing between team members. In romance, fortunate events lead him to a girl basically falling into his arms. In school, fortunate events let him slide through potions class with little effort. Symptomatically, in one scene where Harry needs his own blood for magic, he fortunately scrapes himself just moments before. Maybe I'm missing the point and we are supposed to understand that Harry isn't anyone special, he's just very very lucky.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince.

03/10/2016 marked as: read

Ravenclaw26 I'm a die-hard Harry Potter fan, but you have good points.

Katelyn This book was my least favorite harry potter book. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were all driving me up the wall.

WARNING SPOILERS

Harry- he was obsessed with that book of his. He test random unknown spells on people. What if he hurt someone...like Malloy. Now I don't like Malloy but he didn't deserve that. This was my main problem with harry his idiocy

Ron- in the book Ginny says "I bet u couldn't song anybody" so he picks up lavender ( who's a pain in the neck) to prove "oh yes I can" this action continues through a good chunk of the book. Also I think it was this book (maybe the 5th) that Ron was a jerk. He was constantly moody and mean to everyone on the quidditch team. Also Ron and hermione could do nothing but fight (and more than usual)

Hermione- hermione annoyed me the least. My problem is that she and Ron had one heck of a time picking fights with eachother. Other than that I didn't have much of a problem with her

Now malfoys story was interesting. After reading the half blood prince I could not hate the boy. He struggled with either being with lord Voldemort or him and his family dying. The scene with malfoy and dumbledore was quite interesting. It was interesting to see him struggle over whether to kill dumbledore or not. But as I read the book and watched the movie I don't think he could. He's one of those characters who are bad but have good struggling to get out. Not a bad story.

All in all the book wasn't bad it was a good book just annoying at times. Though not my favorite in the series I would re read it.

Mark Excellent points Katelyn, especially about Malfoy.

Katelyn Thanks

Duda Blei I completely agree with you Katelyn! I think the only reason I give this book a 4 star is because of the Malfoy plot.
Many people ask me why I like this book, and I always answer them: Malfoy, and the 5th book sucked so much for me so this next one was a big relief haha.
Harry was very very annoying... since the Order of the Fenix, and it just made me so angry and irritated...
A lot of people say that he is the character that most matured, and they always get angry at me for saying that it was actually Malfoy. I loved to see how J.K. wrote him in this one and in the last, and you can see how his character grows in those 2 books. More than we ever saw Harry, in my opinion. And if it wasn't for this beautiful growth in Malfoy I would just rate this book a 2 stars...
My big problem with books 5 to 7 is that Harry becomes an annoying brat and I simply can't stand him. What saves those books for me are the secondary characters' stories, that in my opinion are much more interesting and captivating.

Katelyn Wow, thanks! It's interesting in books, to see the bad characters turn not so bad or even good. It helps u realize that some really annoying people have trials and feelings and also struggle between good and evil. Though it does not make their choices right it helps u appreciate them more as a person and help you love them more instead of hate or dislike them dislike. I struggle with this concept and have grown to learn about being judgmental over the years. Helps me see that yes their choices are bad but the person is not bad, and I shouldn't judge whether they are bad or not.

message 7: by Lina (new) - rated it 1 star

Lina Katelyn wrote: "Wow, thanks! It's interesting in books, to see the bad characters turn not so bad or even good. It helps u realize that some really annoying people have trials and feelings and also struggle between good and evil. Though it does not make their choices right it helps u appreciate them more as a person and help you love them more instead of hate or dislike them dislike. I struggle with this concept and have grown to learn about being judgmental over the years. Helps me see that yes their choices are bad but the person is not bad, and I shouldn't judge whether they are bad or not."

You are simply awesome.

Katelyn Thanks Lina! I appreciate that!