Elise Valente's Reviews > Mythology

Mythology by Helen Boswell

bookshelves: favorites

Mythology has an original and engaging storyline, one that sucked me in immediately. I have gotten rather jaded about the YA genre, simply because of all the horribly written and disgustingly sappy novels that have glutted the market in this genre. However, Helen Boswell has given me renewed faith in the genre. This is definitely an author I will be following!

(Potential Spoilers!)

The story is about a girl named Hope. She has the ability to see people's darkest secrets. Strange things begin happening to her, especially as it concerns one to-die-for (literally) Micah. The adventure begins as Michah endures his transformation to (good) demon with Hope at his side, and the two of them, with the guardians, fight to stop the evil spreading in their city.

This is a great new take on the angels vs. demons storyline. Neither the guardians nor the demons are true good or evil (as evidenced by Micah), though some of the characters are of one extreme or the other. Love the (for lack of a better word, HAH) mythology of how demons are created, and how they and the guardians come from the same ancestors--"two sides of the same coin," as it were.

The main character, Hope, is determined and strong, but sometimes wavers with self-doubt, making her a very "real" person in the book. Micah is equally as real, though his character struggles more with staying on the right side of good as he fights with his inner demon nature. I honestly can't wait to see how his internal struggle may play out in future books--it can't be easy being a good demon whose insides are telling him to go eat souls all the time!

Jonathan throws a nice wrench into the whole, being all in love with Hope and all. He's a guardian, so he's rather restrained about it, but I could see things happening where he decides to just throw his hat into the ring and competes directly against Micah for Hope's affection. We will just have to see what happens next.

In other words--there's SO MUCH LEFT that I can't wait to read (Helen, GET ON IT! LOL). Mythology has a great ending, but there's ALL THIS STUFF that I seriously can't wait to find out more about. Kudos to the author for making me anxious for the next book.

Because seriously, that's what counts as a good book in my opinion--well written, well edited, sucks me in, leaves me dying to know more. And Mythology definitely has it all.

READ THIS BOOK!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mythology.

December 5, 2012 – Shelved
December 23, 2012 – Started Reading
December 23, 2012 –
page 214
51.2% "Totally sucked in. Didn't want to put it down, but coffee doesn't make itself. Will pick it back up in about 10 minutes. LOVE THE STORYLINE, love Hope, Micah is awesome, can't wait to see what Jeremiel throws their way. OMG."
December 25, 2012 – Finished Reading