Riku Sayuj's Reviews > Ragnarok

Ragnarok by A.S. Byatt

1651956

liked it
bookshelves: myth-religion, foriegn-lit, r-r-rs, epic-related, lit

Ragnarok: The End of The Gods – A Re-view
or
Ragnarok: The Twilight of the Reader

While the others in the Cannongate series re-imagined the stories, Byatt reread it. And then told the tale of reading it. Underwhelming? To an extent, yes. But, the Norse myths are magnificent enough to come alive of themselves even when the author decides to color them distant.

Byatt gives her reasoning for this approach in the end - saying that she believes myths should not be humanized and the experience of imbibing the story of a myth, of how the story permeates the life, of how myth shapes an individuals and then a society's internal life is what gives a myth its true meaning.

She wanted to mythologize this process - of how a myth can shape a life. And through her Thin Child, she might have done this to an extent, though she let me down on my expectations of a fun and thrilling adventure in the frigid, intimidating and exhilarating strangeness of the Norse landscapes.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ragnarok.

December 5, 2012 – Started Reading
December 5, 2012 – Shelved
December 7, 2012 – Finished Reading
December 22, 2013 – Shelved as: myth-religion
December 22, 2013 – Shelved as: foriegn-lit
December 22, 2013 – Shelved as: r-r-rs
May 12, 2014 – Shelved as: epic-related
May 12, 2014 – Shelved as: lit

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Arun Divakar I found her way of characterizing Loki to be quite fresh a perspective. It might be my limited reading into the Norse myths that made me feel so too !

Riku Sayuj Arun wrote: "I found her way of characterizing Loki to be quite fresh a perspective. It might be my limited reading into the Norse myths that made me feel so too !"

That is the real Loki, I have come across this version of Loki quite often. The comic book version is the inventive version :)

Riku Sayuj Riku wrote: "Arun wrote: "I found her way of characterizing Loki to be quite fresh a perspective. It might be my limited reading into the Norse myths that made me feel so too !"

That is the real Loki, I have c..."

Besides, she deviated from her perspective of the nature of Myths when she invested Loki with so much character... I like authors to stick to their own rules.

Arun Divakar Riku wrote: "Riku wrote: "Arun wrote: "I found her way of characterizing Loki to be quite fresh a perspective. It might be my limited reading into the Norse myths that made me feel so too !"

That is the real L..."

Now I need to bring up the prose & poetic edda back up in my to-read list ! Any specific books on the Norse myths you recommend ?

Riku Sayuj Arun wrote: "Riku wrote: "Riku wrote: "Arun wrote: "I found her way of characterizing Loki to be quite fresh a perspective. It might be my limited reading into the Norse myths that made me feel so too !"

That ..."

Why don't you start with American Gods to get you fully charged on the subject? :)

Arun Divakar I was turbocharged with American Gods :) ! It is one of my all time favorites. That was how I became all interested in Odin & Loki to begin with.

message 7: by Bettie (new) - added it

Bettie Helpful review - I can leave this linger on the TBR for a while yet; so many burning must-reads at this time of year to allow mediocracy elbow room
:O)

Cecily I was aware of, but haven't read, the other Canongate books in the series, but I found Byatt's approach very creative, and I think you explain it well.

Riku Sayuj Cecily wrote: "I was aware of, but haven't read, the other Canongate books in the series, but I found Byatt's approach very creative, and I think you explain it well."

I just wanted more epic drama, I guess :)

message 10: by Riku (new) - rated it 3 stars

Riku Sayuj Lory wrote: "Hello,
I really need your help!
i'm from Germany my name is lory,in the uni we already read the book Ragnarok and its time to write an essay we should choose a topic from the book and write it like..."

You may use the review, for what it is worth. :) Other than that, I don' see how I can be of any help...

message 11: by Riku (new) - rated it 3 stars

Riku Sayuj Lory wrote: "Which is the best topic from the book that i can choose and write about it ? What do you think ? Can you give me some advices ?
I thoughr maybe i can write about loki's charachter ."

You might want to write about the role of myths in modern education -- about the role of a character like Loki and his ambiguities to accustom children to the idea of evil. Do we want them to learn that evil exists? or that evil is a product of circumstances? or that evil is evil based on which side you view the story from?

How can the many faceted-ness of a myth help a child see such varying viewpoints about evil, hero-worship, etc...

Just a suggestion :)