BJ Rose's Reviews > Charming the Highlander

Charming the Highlander by Janet Chapman

2030200
Feb 20, 2009

liked it
bookshelves: time-travel, series, historical-romance, keepers

This was an okay read, actually closer to 3.5*, but after a great beginning, it didn't grab me until I got to the last 80 pp. or so. A story that begins with 8 Scottish warriors fighting a skirmish in the 12th century & suddenly being transported to modern times intrigued me. Maybe the problem was with my expectations, but I just found it too easy to put down and do other things, always a bad sign for me.

Grace had great scientific & mathematical ability and knowledge almost at her fingertips, but for one reason or another throughout the story, she wasn't able to put them to positive use (mountain peak in the way so she couldn't triangulate position, so the strong hero had to find the way out; later she was all set to use her math skills to solve the problem of iced cables on the ski lift, but kidnappers got in the way, etc.) I was left frustrated with the buildup of the idea of strength in the heroine because of her skills, but then always needing the hero - a strong warrior from the 12th century - solve all the problems for her, or at least deal with the aftermath when things went wrong.

I will continue with the series, but have now modified my expectations.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Charming the Highlander.

message 1: by Dina (new)

Dina Hmm, a Highlander that didn't live up to the expectations... I'm crushed! ;)

message 2: by Melanie♥ (last edited May 26, 2009 06:14PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Melanie♥ I quite enjoyed this one. I think I gave it 4 stars. It's not quite up to KMMs Highlanders, but she's hard to top!
Just checked and I gave it 5 stars, but now when comparing it to KMM, I think the 4 is more accurate.

BJ Rose Dina, the Highlanders in the story were fine, and their behavior around the baby was heartwarming. I just had a problem with the way the heroine's talents were marginalized after making such a big deal about how smart/clever/talented she was. Maybe it's just my interpretation.

I liked the book, Melanie - I just didn't love it, but I'm really thinking if I hadn't read all those KMMs, I'd have been more impressed. I'll see how the 2nd one goes.

MelissaB I am not a huge fan of this series. I actually thought this was the best of the books and they get steadily worse. I stopped reading them at a certain point because it wasn't worth it. I know a lot of people hated one of the last books of the series because it seemed like the heroine was going to get with one guy then she went with another instead.

Melanie♥ I agree the series went downhill after the first couple of books. I did just pick up the latest, Moonlight Warrior...so I guess I have not given up on it completely.

BJ Rose Melissa, this is not encouraging - I'll go for one more for sure, then will see.

message 7: by Allyson Faith (new)

Allyson Faith Who is KMM, please?

Melanie♥ KMM=Karen Marie Moning. Author of the best highlander series ever ;)