Susan's Reviews > The Hour I First Believed

The Hour I First Believed by Wally Lamb

Feb 20, 2009

did not like it
Read in February, 2009

** spoiler alert ** This Lamb book was not worth the 10-year wait.

I couldn't believe how much he tried to cram into the plot and the poor protagonist's life. Virtual orphan, failed marriages and cheating wives, Columbine, mentally-ill wife who ends up in prison after killing a young boy, secret mother and doctored birth certificates, mummified babies and Katrina-refugee tenants. All of this interspersed with the story within a story told by his ancestor's letters. What? Caleum couldn't have been at Ground Zero on 9/11?

It was just too much. In the after word Lamb talks about how hard he struggled to find something to write about. It showed.

I did however like the cameos made by previous books' characters: Dominick Birdsey and Doloroes. I like the type of stuff but it certainly added to the feel that this author was, clumsily, wrapping up his career.

Also? The habit Lamb seems to have developed? Of all of his characters asking questions instead of making declarative sentences? That really got on my nerves.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hour I First Believed.

02/20 page 546