Gretchen Hohmeyer's Reviews > Looking for the Good War: American Amnesia and the Violent Pursuit of Happiness

Looking for the Good War by Elizabeth D. Samet

liked it
bookshelves: american-presidents-challenge

This book is fascinating on a number of levels, some good and some bad. On the one hand, I do feel like this is a really unique book for me. The level of cultural analysis, particularly through mostly movies and some plays and books, is not something I usually tackle in the books I've been reading in this vein. This is not your typical history book, and you'll be disappointed if that's what you think it is, I think. Culture creates history in its own way, and paying attention to the way we've represented and shaped our history through media is important as we look through it for the facts. However, the structure of this book felt a bit off-kilter. There were what felt like slogs of movie plot explanation that interrupted what was otherwise good cultural analysis, for example. While I understand those explanations were necessary for the point, there were so many and those sections were so long. Some of the chapters also hopped backward and forwards in time with odd relations so that when Samet wrote "In chapter X I already proved" I was like, what chapter? Where? What time period are we talking about? Had I been reading the physical book I could have looked backward, but I was listening to the audiobook so I didn't have that option. All in all, I would say take a chance on it if you're interested, just understand what you're getting into.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for the Good War.

April 30, 2022 – Started Reading