Jeanna's Reviews > Avempartha

Avempartha by Michael J. Sullivan

F 50x66
Feb 20, 2009

bookshelves: fantasy

So, I got an ARC copy of this book from the author's wife (and let me just say I was proud of myself for ignoring the typos that get edited out before publication; being an editor is sometimes a curse). It's the second book in the series of six (curses! I broke my rule of only reading completed series again!), and I’ve now finished the first one as well. I wanted to know if they really could go out of order without being a problem, and overall it was fine. There was obviously some backstory referred to in Avempartha, but there wasn't anything too confusing.

I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It wasn't anything earth shattering, but it was a fun, clean read and an entertaining fantasy. The characters are likable, and though they tend toward the stereotypes (thief with a good heart, mysterious wizard, etc.), they were still entertaining. They were fun enough that I actually wanted to read the first one, and I will almost certainly keep up with the series.

Now that I’ve read the first one as well, I can say that I think Avempartha was a bit better than Crown Conspiracy. To me this means potentially good things. It means that as the series continues, hopefully the writing will continue to get better. Even though it was still fun and good in the first one.

I’ve just decided to start rating my books like movies are rated, so here’s my first one. I would put it somewhere between PG and PG-13 for violence. It’s not gory or anything, but big fiery deaths, nasty death threats, and an old-lady-dismembering monster just don’t seem quite tame enough for PG.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Avempartha.

message 1: by Sandi (new) - added it

Sandi I like your rating system. I ought to start doing that for the books I review.