Jaclyn's Reviews > Cinder

Cinder by Marissa Meyer

Dec 04, 2012

bookshelves: out-of-this-world, favorites, re-read

A unique telling of a much-loved story from childhood that has been turned on it's head and re-energized.

Cinder is a teenager that is living with her stepmother and stepsisters much like the Cinderella from old that we are familiar with. She also attracts the attention of a prince, in this case Prince Kai, that no one believes she is worthy of and he is throwing a ball. That's where the resemblance to the traditional story ends. I felt Cinder had even more going against her due to the fact that she is a cyborg and living as a servant to her stepmother and stepsisters. Cyborgs in the Lunar Chronicles are treated like slaves that have no feelings and are meant to be beneath everyone else. After a disease that is sweeping through New Beijing hits too close to home, Cinder is thrust into the fray and begins to unravel a lot of truths...about her past, her present, and what may become of her future.

The Good

Cinder is so easy to empathize with and I liked her right from the start. It's not just her either, the side characters were all enjoyable except for the ones you weren't supposed to like which of course, I didn't. The story is unique, enriched, and complex. I was worried at first that there would be a lot of language about robotics and science in general that I might not be familiar with and would have a hard time following along, but Marissa Meyer described everything well and kept the story easy to understand. The plot progressed at a great rate and remained interesting from start to finish.

The Bad

I was a little disappointed that since there was so many other things going on, there wasn't really a lot of romance. There was really just a spark and initial budding. I hope to see more later in the series.

Conclusion

I believe that even though there was some foreshadowing used in this book, and the reader might draw the right conclusions, it still held a lot of surprises. It was a very unique story that gave me everything that I can ask for from a book. I must read the 2nd one, Scarlet as soon as it is possible.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cinder.

December 4, 2012 – Started Reading
January 18, 2013 – Shelved as: out-of-this-world
November 9, 2015 – Shelved as: favorites
November 9, 2015 – Shelved as: re-read
November 9, 2015 –
0.0% "Time for a re-read :D"
November 10, 2015 –