Celeste Batchelor's Reviews > The Trumpet of the Swan

The Trumpet of the Swan by E.B. White

Dec 03, 2012

it was ok

Part of me wants to really like this story, but I just think it's not good enough to go on my classics list. I never liked stories that personify animals very much. Plus, many of the characters are stupid (literally) and made to seem idiotic. I didn't like the ending with giving away their children to the zoo either. I just don't feel that is an image that should be portrayed to our children.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Trumpet of the Swan.

DeAyn I'm beginning to understand and relate to a lot of what you commented on with the personification of the animals and the stupidity of the characters. I've always wanted to read it but I don't think that it will be one to add to our list of classics either. Hoping that other E.B. Whites will not disappoint. Any recommendations?

Celeste Batchelor When I was a child I liked Charlotte's Web, but it also made me cry. Out of all of E. B. White's books I like that one the most.

Maybe I'm a little harsh about what goes on my classics list. There are a few things to like about The Trumpet Swan. He continues to learn and grow. He is not satisfied with being like everyone else. I believe that is why it is on many folks' classics list.

DeAyn Not harsh. I too am learning to become selective on what I want to keep on the shelf. That space is valuable real estate.

I recall liking the movie, Charlotte's Web when I was young. I look forward to reading the book with the kids.