Danielle Smiley's Reviews > Make Believe

Make Believe by J.A. Belfield

I reviewed each story separately...

Sacrificial Oath by Terri Rochenski
Genre: YA Fantasy
Rating: * * *
My Review:
This is a retelling of an old fable and I enjoyed the author's take on it. We see everything from Alesuela's perspective which adds a great deal to the mystery and suspense. I loved how Terri Rochenski used the color red symbolically throughout the story. Overall, the story did fall short for me as I didn't really connect much with the main character, so I wasn't emotionally invested, but it still was an entertaining start to the anthology.

The Amulet of Ormisez by J. Keller Ford
Genre: Fantasy
My Rating: * * * *
My Review:
This is a well-told and creative story that had me hanging on the author's every word. I loved the world that J. Keller Ford created and grew attached to the characters immediately. My only real complaint is use of the names of places got confusing and I wasn't always sure at first where the characters were supposed to be. I was also little confused on the hows and whys of Cayden's and the Queen's final situation, but not enough for it to ruin the story for me.

Birthright by Lynda R. Young
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy
My Review:
I was very much wow-ed by this story. It's super suspenseful with a unique and creative supernatural element. I found it easy to connect with the characters and totally felt the Jack-Christa connection. It didn't feel rushed or insta-love-ish even though it all happens quickly. Birthright is a crazy cool read and I really hope author takes this to the next step with a full novel.

Petrified by Kelly Said
Genre: YA Fantasy
My Rating: * * * *
My Review:
Petrified was a real treat of suspense and mystery. Sooo much of this story has you asking why and who and can he/she be trusted??? I loved how Kelly Said built her world and our knowledge of each character slowly throughout the story, only bringing all the elements together near the conclusion. Both Lochlyn and Sterling are great characters; I loved Lochlyn's tenderheartedness. I wish their romance was built-up a bit more; I felt they were a bit touchy-feely with one another considering they were pretty much strangers. I think if there had been more acknowledgement of attraction in their thoughts and maybe more time on the romantic elements at the conclusion, I'd been better satisfied. Regardless, this was a really great story!

Last Winter Red by Jennifer M. Eaton
Genre: Dystopian
My Review:
Wow! This was a fantastic read! First off, its amazing to see a well-written dystopian in short story form; I believe it difficult to world-build a dystopian society with so few words, but Jennifer M. Eaton does it and does it fabulously! I loved the world, the characters and the budding romance!!! Last Winter Red was so perfectly done! It was like a chocolate truffle. Perfectly satisfying, yet bite-sized!

Escort to Insanity by J.A. Belfield
Genre: Paranormal Romance/Urban Fantasy
My Review:
It's no secret I'm a huge J. A. Belfield fan. I must admit I was curious, though, to see what her writing would be like without the Holloway Pack. Would I still love her writing with Jem and Sean??? And the answer .... YES, ABSO-FREAKIN-LOUTELY, YES!!! Escort to Instanity was so amazing! There was so much suspense and action and romance in those few pages ... holy cow! .... how did she manage that??? I'm so hoping that this is the take off of a new series for her. That would rock because I'm loving me some Benjamin Gold! Yum!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make Believe.

Started Reading