emma's Reviews > We Were Never Here

We Were Never Here by Andrea Bartz

did not like it
bookshelves: mystery-thriller-horror-etc, non-ya, unpopular-opinion, nope, 1-star, reviewed

I'm like the Peter Pan of being unpleasant.

I have a sort of whimsy to me, I never want to grow up, I am naturally suited to leading a ragtag group of people younger than me (I was a camp counselor for many years).

And also I am a huge hater.

In other words, I had to read this book for a workplace book club, and I hated it both because it's not good and because I abhor grown-up activities of any kind.

But I'll try to focus on the book. Seeing as this is a "review of it" and all.

This shindig involves some truly stunningly bad writing.

This book doesn't understand its own characters - some, if not most, of these actions have no explanation whatsoever. When the story ends and it's wrap up loose ends time, there is both a moment in which our narrator literally says the bad guy's actions are inexplicable, AND a moment when she destroys her own characterization.

In fact, the ending is so bad, so immoral, so unintentionally convincing of our main character's soullessness and her stupid boyfriend's, that it made me consider other more interesting plot points, like me killing all of them in the first cross-fiction murder spree in history.

The single most readable bit in the whole thing is when it accidentally implies a plot twist that would create a story line approximately 100,000 times more interesting than the one we actually have, and even though in any other context I would have thought it was lame I gasped with joy and gratitude.

But no. It was just misleading.

If only.

Bottom line: Everything is bad.

-----------------
pre-review

reading this for my work book club. this is the most adult thing i have ever done

update: being an adult is the worst.

review to come / 2 stars

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Were Never Here.

April 22, 2022 – Started Reading
April 22, 2022 – Shelved
April 25, 2022 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)

Bailey I just recently finished this. plz tell me if this reminds you of a specific movie....

message 2: by Monique (new)

Monique Hilarious review 😊

message 3: by emma (new) - rated it 1 star

emma Bailey wrote: "I just recently finished this. plz tell me if this reminds you of a specific movie...."

i'm guessing single white female but i've never seen it!!

message 4: by emma (new) - rated it 1 star

emma Monique wrote: "Hilarious review 😊"

< 3

message 5: by Emma (new)

Emma Jones I think I've read this one too. I recognise the title but I have zero recollection of the plot or characters

(Energy) I was particularly annoyed with Emily's obsession with Kristen. So-much-cringe

message 7: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Febles Yeah, adulting sucks.

message 8: by emma (new) - rated it 1 star

emma Kyla wrote: "Is the accidental plot twist (view spoiler)"

YES! (deleted your comment so i could put it in spoiler tags)

message 9: by emma (new) - rated it 1 star

emma Christopher wrote: "Yeah, adulting sucks."

lol

message 10: by emma (new) - rated it 1 star

emma (Energy) wrote: "I was particularly annoyed with Emily's obsession with Kristen. So-much-cringe"

too much, even

message 11: by emma (new) - rated it 1 star

emma Emma wrote: "I think I've read this one too. I recognise the title but I have zero recollection of the plot or characters"

i pray this will happen to me