Sairam Krishnan's Reviews > On the Road: The Original Scroll

On the Road by Jack Kerouac

Dec 02, 2012

Not that can I can get rate or review this book, but since Goodreads has a five star scale, it gets all of them, If it had ten, the book would get all ten. I mean, Oh. My. God. What a riot of beautiful words!

The characters in Kerouac's book are crazy, as he also is, and it is an infectious craziness, a get-out-of-your-chair-and-catch-the-train kind of command emanates from the sheer force of the narrative. Seldom has a book worked me up like this. It is a beautiful story from a deep, lonely and unbelievably gifted and sensitive writer. No wonder this book means so much to Americans.

And Neal Cassady, what a character he must have been! The book is more or less a meditation on a single person's soul, a mad, interested-in-everything soul with the charm and mystery to carry a generation along!

The romance and mystery of the open road is the consistent backdrop of the book, and which I think is the book's most powerful voice. But what it also is, is a remnant of a time when people actually loved to 'live', just for the joy of 'living', the loss of a way of life I find cause to lament.

This Penguin Classics edition is going to be one of my most cherished possessions.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read On the Road.

message 1: by Sucheta (new)

Sucheta Sai! Yay Yay Yay! Welcome to the club. Madness to beautiful to behold.

Sairam Krishnan As Neal would say, "Yes, Yes, Yes". :)