Liz's Reviews > Sun of Suns

Sun of Suns by Karl Schroeder

2042021
Feb 18, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: reviewed, books-read-in-2009, adventure, swashbuckling, scifi, own, spaceships

The Virga is a world like no other, a planet-sized, air-filled balloon in which man-made fusion suns provide power to the world’s many warring nation states. In Virga, gravity is a precious commodity, and whole cities are built in wheels of wood and rope that spin to generate this resource. On the outskirts of Virga, far from the light and heat of the main fusion sun, the Sun of Suns known as Candesce, the world falls into “winter”, a region of unrelenting cold and endless darkness, where pirates and other unsavory folk lurk. Our protagonist, Hayden Griffin, is orphaned when his parents are killed as a result of their plot to free their nation of Aerie from the tyrannical rule of the nation Slipstream. Now an adult, Hayden has vowed to kill the one he holds responsible, Chaison Fanning, Admiral of Slipstream’s navy. By unexpectedly winning the favor the of the Admiral’s wife, the diabolical Venera Fanning, Hayden is able to infiltrate the home turf of his enemy. However, he soon finds himself embroiled in a scheme far beyond anything could ever have imagined, involving a hunt for the greatest treasure in all of Virga. The fates of the nations Slipstream and Aerie, as well as the entire world of Virga hang in the balance, and Hayden must decide whose side he is on once and for all.

Overall, I thought this was a pretty cool book. The world of Virga is an incredibly cool cross of high technology and good old-fashioned swashbuckling. The story is engaging, and there’s a lot of action. It’s a little weird when you first start reading, because you’re flung into this world that’s so different from anything else with no explanations of what anything is or means. It’s okay once you get the hang of it, though. My other quibble is that, while the world is very well-developed, the characterization was sorely neglected. I didn’t find any of the characters very likeable, and it was hard for me to care about what happened to them. If as much attention had been paid to developing the characters as was paid to developing the world and creating a rollicking plot, I think this book would be pretty darn near perfect. I will be reading the next book in the series!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sun of Suns.