Alyssa's Reviews > When You Were Mine

Publication Date: May 1, 2012
Rating: 5 stars
Source: Won a giveaway

Summary (from Goodreads):

In this intensely romantic, modern recounting of the greatest love story ever told, Romeo’s original intended—Juliet’s cousin Rosaline—tells her side of the tale. What’s in a name, Shakespeare? I’ll tell you: Everything.

Rosaline knows that she and Rob are destined to be together. Rose has been waiting for years for Rob to kiss her—and when he finally does, it’s perfect. But then Juliet moves back to town. Juliet, who used to be Rose’s best friend. Juliet, who now inexplicably hates her. Juliet, who is gorgeous, vindictive, and a little bit crazy...and who has set her sights on Rob. He doesn’t even stand a chance.

Rose is devastated over losing Rob to Juliet. This is not how the story was supposed to go. And when rumors start swirling about Juliet’s instability, her neediness, and her threats of suicide, Rose starts to fear not only for Rob’s heart, but also for his life. Because Shakespeare may have gotten the story wrong, but we all still know how it ends…

What I Liked:

Oh, contemporary novels, whe have you done to me?! This book was one of the last books I read in 2012, and I absolutely LOVED it! I have to say, while I expected some things in this book to happen, with Rob and Juliet, I did not expect others (like, the end? I did not expect it to go that far - but I loved it).

The plot is so engrossing! I feel like I do not describe many contemporary novels as engrossing, but this one was! I read it between two days, within hours. It's one that is quick to read, but also very dense. It's not a light read all the time.

Okay, next, the characters. I really like Rosaline. I truly saw character development in her throughout the story, and it was nice, smooth character development (smooth meaning there were many events that tested Rosaline's character, but she handled those situations better each time, learning from her mistakes).

Rob is too perfect - so I was not on board with him from the start. I kind of liked Juliet, despite her standoffish attitude. Len, Olivia, and Charlie are all wonderful supporting characters. If there are any more books that deal with this story, then I definitely want to see more of Len.

Overall, this book is terrific - a real winner in the contemporary world. And guess what? No love triangle!!! Well. Kind of no triangle. It's the kind of triangle that I can tolerate. Girl like boy #1, and boy #2 likes girl. In the end, everyone is kind of squared away, though girl still harbors feelings for boy #1. and I like that about this book - the feelings don't just disappear. Rosaline still cares for Rob as a friend and more, even though he's not hers.

But things definitely end well in my opinion. And hey. When You Were Mine was one of my favorite contemporary novels of 2012!

What I Did Not Like:

I really, really wanted more from Len (like, more interactions). Otherwise, I have no complaints :)

Would I Recommend It:

YES!!! Contemporary lover? GO GET IT NOW!!!

Rating:

5 stars. SQUEE! I loved this book! Like, lots!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read When You Were Mine.

December 1, 2012 – Shelved