Genesis Romo's Reviews > My People

My People by Langston Hughes

U 50x66

bookshelves: award-winner, easy-reader, multicultural, poetry, primary-grades, picture-book

My People is the Corretta Scott King Award winning multicultural poetry book written by Langston Hughes representing the beautiful African-American Community. My People is a very short poem easy enough for primary grades to read, but this poem can be reasonably understood by middle school children. Every page of the book is covered in a photograph. The beginning of the poem begins with the picture of a dark skin gentleman and the words read, “The night”, and throughout the poem we see pictures of African-American people’s skin color. The shades of skin color go from dark to light, and the closing lines of the poem it says, “The sun”. The main word in this poem is beautiful, the author uses this adjective to describes the African American people in the book. He also uses the adjective to describe the words he uses like their faces, the night, the stars, eyes, souls which all relate to the people in the book. However, the most important word in this poem is the word also because the author makes it a point keep describing what makes African American people beautiful.
I was humbled by this short multicultural poem. The truth behind this poem is about the realness of what comes with the poem. The words are somewhat simple like sun, faces, stars, etc., but the depth of the poem has to do with how this poem can help students with identity. Teachers can use this book not just in February when it is Black History Month, but can use this book to have people embrace their color of their skin. The photographs capture the different colors of African American people. Teachers can use this book to removed stereotype. Often in today’s educational system in Chicago, our schools are labeled to be very segregated. Throughout history every race has seemed to be grouped together as looking the same, acting the same, dressing the same, etc. This book shows the reader that every individual in the photograph is different, but beautiful. These pictures show the beautiful different shades of their skin, of their culture, of their race, and of their heritage. Teachers can take this book and show their students that skin color is apart of everyone. Even if society groups us by skin color that does not mean that we are all the same. It only means we are strong together, but each individual has something different to bring to the book. Everyone in the book is African American, but everyone is different. The lesson is everyone is different, and different is beautiful.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My People.

Finished Reading