Ian's Reviews > Eleanor & Park

Eleanor & Park by Rainbow Rowell

Dec 01, 2012

bookshelves: b-favorites
Recommended for: everyone!!

When Eleanor starts sitting next to Park on the bus to and from school, their journey is at first silent. Over time they begin communicating with each other in small ways, at first about music and comics and then about themselves. As the year progresses the awkward disaster that Park saw on the first day of school turns into a beautiful young woman he loves.

But coming from a home with an abusive and violent step-father, Eleanor's life is a long way from simple, and Park might have to give up the girl he loves if he wants to save her.

One of the best books I read in 2012.

Many Thanks to St Martin's Press and Netgalley for providing me with this ARC

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Eleanor & Park.

December 1, 2012 – Started Reading
December 1, 2012 – Shelved
December 1, 2012 –
0.0% "A buddy read with Mad Scientist and Helen"
December 1, 2012 –
page 35
10.67% "Woot!!! So loving this book!!!"
December 2, 2012 –
page 105
32.01% ""I..."––her voice nearly disappeared––"think I live for you." He closed his eyes and pressed his head back into his pillow.\n "I don't think I even breathe when we're not together," she whispered. "Which means, when I see you on Monday morning, it's been like sixty hours since I've taken a breath. That's probably why I'm so crabby, and why I snap at you."\n \n Wow...just wow!"
December 9, 2012 – Finished Reading
March 15, 2013 – Shelved as: b-favorites

Little Butterfly Hi Ian . I read your review on your blog, too. Sounds like a fantastic book, deep and meaningful. I will go for it :)

Michelle [Helen Geek] I agree. It was a lovely read.

Claire I really wanted to know a guy response to this story- thanks for posting.

Beth This was a great book, I read until 2.am because I wanted to know what happened to the characters. I wish there was a sequel.

Katty Any particular reason why it's one of the best books you read in 2012? You don't actually mention why you like it.

message 6: by Ian (last edited Jun 28, 2013 03:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Katty wrote: "Any particular reason why it's one of the best books you read in 2012? You don't actually mention why you like it."

Kind of hard to explain. I guess I would say it has heart. My love for this book was definitely more emotional than intellectual.

Katty Definitely agree with that! I found it very honest and heartfelt too.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

would you like to read Blue Is Sad? It's kinda like E&P. It's about first love and growing up in the media's eyes and alcoholism. I think you'll like it. http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sad-Emily-...

C_eng No

Vicki What did you think of the ending, Ian? I felt I wanted a little more but the story itself, so good. :)

message 11: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Vicki wrote: "What did you think of the ending, Ian? I felt I wanted a little more but the story itself, so good. :)"

I liked that things were left up in the air. I don't think there are happy endings at that age and if RR tried to force it it would have felt false.

That said, I haven't read anything else by the author and I'm pretty sure it's because I found the book and the ending quite challenging.

Vicki I looked at her other books and I don't think I will read them. I need more happy I think. :)

message 13: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian Vicki wrote: "I need more happy I think. :)"

Yeah me too....I loved E+P but just a little goes a long way. I wouldn't want to exclusively read books like this.

message 14: by Kim (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kim Howard I loved this one too but then I read Attachments by Rainbow Rowell and I found it to be better. The innocence of a secret crush told by alternating characters. A sweet story.