Lindsey's Reviews > Esperanza Rising

Esperanza Rising by Pam Muñoz Ryan

F 50x66
Feb 18, 2009

Read in January, 2009

In Esperanza Rising, Esperanza is a priviliged girl who lives in Mexico on her Father's ranch. On the eve of her 13th birthday her father was killed by vaqueros. Her uncles now had control of her families property and would only allow her and her mother to stay if her Mother married one of them. She refused, so they take the train to California with some of their servants. Esperanza had to learn how to work and take care of her family and others. She no longer was waited on hand and foot. When her mother gets sick, Esperanza has to get a job working in the fields to pay for her medical bills, hoping that her mother will live.
The story is filled with ups and downs and you never know what will happen next. Esperanza goes through a lot of changes in the 250ish pages. She goes from a girl who is waited on 24 hours a day to a field worker who has to take on responsibilities and provide for her family. The reader is constantly found cheering for Esperanza to succeed in her next endeavor and wishing that she didn't have to go through all of the trials that she faces.
This is a great book for middle schoolers to read. It discusses family struggle, growing up and gaining responsibilites, and the ethnic judgement of the 1930's among other important topics. This book is at the top of my list for students to read both in and outside of the classroom.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Esperanza Rising.

message 1: by Asif (new) - added it

Asif Miah Her father was killed by bandits not vaqueros =)

message 2: by Lindsey (new) - added it

Lindsey I love this just started it in reading group and I'm in 5th grade!! I love the book so far hope to finish soon!! Keep posting:)!!