Black Elephants's Reviews > Interview with the Vampire

2044409
Feb 17, 2009

did not like it
bookshelves: scifi-fantasy

I proudly spent the first part of my weekend with the undead, meaning that I watched episodes of Buffy the Vampire Slayer, a television show that is glorious, an example of genius and just neat-o. I enjoy my cheese. So, it seemed logical to delve further into the vampiric canon and finally buy Anne Rice's Interview with a Vampire.

First, it must be understood that I have a history with this book. Aside from already seeing the movie (which I thought was fine) and reading Rice's Mayfair trilogy, I had been trying to buy Interview with a Vampire for the last few years. I was always on the lookout for it in an airport because it just seemed like the right kind of book to help make the hours on an airplane fly by. But as fate would have it, other Rice titles would grace the duty free shelves, but never the one I wanted.

So, I bought it! Finally! The wonderfulness of Wikipedia had also filled me in on the entirety of the Vampire Chronicles. I knew exactly what I was getting into: Lestat! Claudia! Evil! I opened the book. I started the book. I closed the book.

Day 2: I opened the book, read a few pages, closed it.

Day 3: Opened it and finally made it to page 21 when Louis is transformed, sheds his mortality, sees his last sunrise EVER! And I yawned, closed the book and dropped it to the floor.

It must say something about how dull I found this book when I hated every single character, especially the protagonist when all he had pretty much done was spiral into a depression due to his brother's death. Equally detrimental was the language, which I thought was trite and pretentious, hollow and without depth. It lacked life (ha ha).

I found this to be the same problem with Michael Ondaatje's Anil's Ghost. That was a book I tried to read three times over the course of a year, but every time I lost interest because of the glamourless words. (It was surprising because Ondaatje is a very well received poet).

Despite my disdain for the book however, I do know that Ms. Rice has legions of fans devoted to her vampires. Therefore, I would like to use this entry as a dedication to one of the most boring books I've ever read. Have a title yourself? A book that just wouldn't end fast enough? Felt like a Sisyphus, eternally surmounting a plot and finding that you never got anywhere? Comment here and share! Or write your own entry! But don't let your opinion disappear off into the night!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Interview with the Vampire.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I Agree with you 100 percent and found your review supper funny you couldn't have explained how boring this book was any better

Black Elephants Thanks for the nice comment!

message 3: by Hollygibbo (new) - added it

Hollygibbo I am having a hard time getting into this book. Thank you for making me feel like I'm not crazy. I'm bored bored bored with this story. I've been trying to read it for a week and I'm only on page 85. I usually read about 100 pages/day! Ugh. Off to try once again to get into this story. Did you ever finish?

Black Elephants Hollygibbo wrote: "I am having a hard time getting into this book. Thank you for making me feel like I'm not crazy. I'm bored bored bored with this story. I've been trying to read it for a week and I'm only on pag..."

Thanks for the comment! In answer to your question, I never did finish and I can't say I felt bad about it. Good luck ~

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I did hear it all threw a Audio book and it was still boring so GOOD LUCK

message 6: by Hollygibbo (new) - added it

Hollygibbo I threw in the towel. Yuck.

Jennifer Marshburn The Pale Blue Eye, by Louis Bayard: This book was bad; very bad. It hurt my feelings. It wasn't even a matter of boredom, but disappointment. It sets you up to think that you're going to get an intricate and suspenceful mystery, but in the end... nothing. I mean it, the mystery was not solved, the characters were not changed, and the end of the book had little if anything to do with the rest of the plot. If nothing else, I have to say Rice is Nobel Prize worthy in comparison, but then so is Dr. Seuss.

Black Elephants Jennifer wrote: "The Pale Blue Eye, by Louis Bayard: This book was bad; very bad. It hurt my feelings. It wasn't even a matter of boredom, but disappointment. It sets you up to think that you're going to get an..."

Oooo that sounds painful!

Chrissy I've found this the case with a lot of people. The Vampire Chronicles are a bit of an acquired taste. Being that because they are from the different point of view of different vampires, some are more exciting than others (Queen of the Damned is my favorite).
I'm sad that you found it boring. It holds a special place in my heart, as the first adult book I read, as well as the book that introduced to the world of vampires.

Although, I get the same horror from fantasy reads when I tell them that I can't stand Raymond E. Feist.

I'm curious though, how do you feel about Dracula? If you've read it, obviously.

Black Elephants I loved Dracula! Although, it is a prime example of Victorian Gothic fiction in which men are dumb and women are awesome. Without Mina Harker, everyone would've died.

Chrissy While I have a Gigantic amount of respect for Dracula as a book, and I know that I wouldn't have the vampire authors that I hold dear to me now without Bram Stoker, I actually don't really enjoy Dracula that much. Last time i tried to read it, it bored the crap out of me...

I might have to try it again I think. I really hope my tastes have altered enough to be able to get through it..

And given, Louis is a bit of a whiner in 'Interview' ...