The Flooze's Reviews > The Man With the Golden Torc

The Man With the Golden Torc by Simon R. Green

Feb 17, 2009

bookshelves: urban-fantasy-paranormal, sci-fi, vanquished_2009, owned
Read in March, 2009 , read count: 1

Edwin Drood has more gadgets than you can imagine: golden armor, a portable door, a self-aiming gun with never-ending bullets, and much more.

But he also has more problems than you can shake a stick at. He's the supernatural answer to James Bond, and he's just been declared rogue. Now everyone (including his family) wants him dead, while all Eddie wants is the truth.

It took about 50 or 60 pages for this book to hit its stride. But once it did, it was unstoppable. The pace was fast, the lead character was incredibly likable, and the dialogue was witty and natural. The secondary characters were inventive, and I hope they're brought back in later installments.

It's a page-turner of a book, incorporating action, suspense, mystery, and even some romance, along with a large dose of humor...The Man with the Golden Torc has it all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Man With the Golden Torc.

03/14/2009 page 1
03/14/2009 page 41
10.3% "Slow. Enough with the set-up!"
03/14/2009 page 62
15.58% ""The family runs on tea. And Jaffa Cakes." I'd kill for a jaffa cake right now."
03/14/2009 page 136
34.17% "Now that we're beyond set-up, this is pretty great!"
03/15/2009 page 248
62.31% "Gotta love a good chase scene. On a motorcycle! Vroom vroom..."
03/01/2016 marked as: read

Katyana Great review! I agree with you - it took the first 20% or so before the book really hit its stride. The opening was a little dense, both with world-building, and with setting the stage for the story. In the end, though, I really liked it. Eddie Drood is this great cross between Harry Dresden and James Bond. Molly was pretty dang awesome too!