Jill's Reviews > Up Close

Up Close by Henriette Gyland

3820197

bookshelves: 2012-debuts, romantic-suspense

Debut

When Lia Thompson's grandmother dies, she returns to Norfolk, England to tie up legal matters and her late grandmother's estate. Having lived in Philadelphia, her return to Norfolk brings back dark memories and fears from childhood. Questions surrounding her grandmother's death and final weeks, have Lia wondering if her death may not have been by natural circumstances as believed.

Aidan Morrell, retired Navy diver lives and works on his farm in Norfolk, a part-time artist and full-time farmer. His military brother's disappearance after suffering PTSD, and Aidan's own psychological and physical issues relating to his retirement from the navy due to disability, have lead to his outspoken views against the way veterans are treated by the Ministry of Defence. With explosive devices found on nearby air force bases, Aidan has come under mounting suspicion.

This romantic suspense debut is very impressive. From the well thought-out plot to the characterisations and setting, this is a riveting read. I've mentioned a number of times before, titles from British authors and publishers seem to have this effortless, understated writing style, that I connect with well.

With a setting in the cold, almost bleak Norfolk winter lending the requisite chilly and eerie atmosphere, this is a taut suspense. The blossoming romance between Aidan and Lia is there but subdued. The story is layered. There's the primary plot of the grandmother's death, and the revealing of how and why she died. Lia's own dark and tragic past. Aidan's emotional and physical scars, and dealing with the loss of his brother. And the threats against the military bases in Norfolk. Author Henriette Gyland manages to skilfully interweave these threads and tie up the loose ends, delivering an absorbing and tense read.

Steam: 2

ARC courtesy of Choc lit Publishing

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Up Close.

November 29, 2012 – Shelved
Started Reading
December 1, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)

Elizabeth (Liz) Sounds pretty good, Jilly!

Jill Elizabeth wrote: "Sounds pretty good, Jilly!"

It does, E!! *fingers crossed*

Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* Great review, as always, Jill! I really like the cover of this - Beautiful and artistic. Your summary and thoughts on the story has me intrigued. Thanks. One day, one day. :-) I don't even think I'll make my 50 books goal this year and I have a gazillion on my TBR shelf! Gah!

Jill Lady Jayne *~*The Beach Bandida*~* wrote: "Great review, as always, Jill! I really like the cover of this - Beautiful and artistic. Your summary and thoughts on the story has me intrigued. Thanks. One day, one day. :-) I don't even think I'..."

Thanks Jaynie! And I understand completely. My goal next year is to attack my mountain. *fingers crossed* :)

Elizabeth (Liz) Great review, Jill!! I have this in my wishlist anyway, but, from your review, I take it this is a good example of the difference between American-written and British-written books? Either way, it sounds interesting, and I like the setting.

Jill Elizabeth wrote: "Great review, Jill!! I have this in my wishlist anyway, but, from your review, I take it this is a good example of the difference between American-written and British-written books? Either way, i..."

Yes, exactly, E! This is to my mind a typically British romance. (Even though the author is not British-born.) Very understated writing and characterisations.

I have no preference over British, American, Australian, etc romances. But they each have their particular style.

Elizabeth (Liz) Great! I'm just curious to see how I react to the writing style. It doesn't matter to me where the author's from. I just find the whole thing interesting:) Thanks!

Blacky *Romance Addict* Great review Jill :) Looks interesting. Adding this one :)

Jill @ Elizabeth
You're welcome, E!

@ Blacky
Thanks Blacky!

message 10: by Hannah (new) - added it

Hannah Excellent review, Jill!

message 11: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Hannah wrote: "Excellent review, Jill!
Thanks again for the rec. Hope I can find this one on Paperbackswap or library :D"

Thanks Hannah! I *think* you'll like this one. It's a new release so probably won't be at PBS or library (if yours is anything like mine!) for a while.

message 12: by KatLynne (new)

KatLynne As always, Great review Jilly! I think working on my mtn is a lost cause. For every book I read I'm also adding 4 or more daily:) I had to add this one too. It sounds really good.

message 13: by Dd (new)

Dd Nicely said,Jill!!:)

message 14: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill KatLynne wrote: "As always, Great review Jilly! I think working on my mtn is a lost cause. For every book I read I'm also adding 4 or more daily:) I had to add this one too. It sounds really good."

I know it's just crazy, KatLynne! I am so determined to make a huge dent in my mountain. But like you I just keep adding!

message 15: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Dd wrote: "Nicely said,Jill!!:)"

Thankyou Dd!

message 16: by Jae (new)

Jae Liked.
But the low Steam rating got me a bit concerned. I like my RS meaty & hot.

message 17: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Jae wrote: "Liked.
But the low Steam rating got me a bit concerned. I like my RS meaty & hot."

Sometimes the plot is so good, you don't want the steam to overwhelm it, Jae! ;)

message 18: by Karla (last edited Dec 04, 2012 06:46AM) (new)

Karla Wonderful review Jill!

"I've mentioned a number of times before, titles from British authors and publishers seem to have this effortless, understated writing style."

I agree, I find that the writing seems to flow better and brings the reader in as a part of the story, for me anyway!

message 19: by Baba (new)

Baba  Great review, Jill!

message 20: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Karla wrote: "Wonderful review Jill!

I agree, I find that the wr..."

Thanks Karla! It's quite surprising I can usually tell if a romance has been written by a Brit or an American or an Aussie.

message 21: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Baba wrote: "Great review, Jill!"

Thanks Baba!

Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* You always find interesting romantic suspense books..keep them coming..or reading/reviewing :)
Thanks Jill.

message 23: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Sandi *~The Pirate Wench~* wrote: "You always find interesting romantic suspense books..keep them coming..or reading/reviewing :)
Thanks Jill."

I'll try my best, Sandi! I think you'd enjoy this one!

message 24: by Richa (new) - added it

Richa Great review, Jill!! :) Added this book to my tbr list.

message 25: by Jill (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jill Richa wrote: "Great review, Jill!! :) Added this book to my tbr list."

Thanks Richa! If you're like me your TBR mtn is near avalanche status!