Forrest's Reviews > Touching the Void: The True Story of One Man's Miraculous Survival

Touching the Void by Joe Simpson

M 50x66
Feb 17, 2009

Read in February, 2009

Our daughter gave me this book. I compliment her on her selection! Even though I am not a fan of Chris Bonington - I agree with him, as stated in his forward to this book - "This Is A Remarkable Story". It is well written and captures the full range of Simpsons and Yates' human feelings (physical, emotional, spiritual, mental and social) that this tragedy produced. This book clearly communicates the broad spectrum of these human feelings that we all feel and think about - but only a gifted few can articulate and express. I enjoyed the manner in which Simpson changes the tempo of the story's multiple climaxes, by switching between Simpson's and Yates' prespectives. Truly a gripping story that is captivating and well written. I laud Simpson's writing ability to enable the reader to understand the definition of the mountain climbing technical terms (abseil, col, coulier, flutings, etc.) through connotation. (I did not discover the glossary until I was nearing the end of the book, and too lazy to look-up the definitions in the dictionary.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Touching the Void.