Kerrie's Reviews > Nonbeliever Nation: The Rise of Secular Americans

Nonbeliever Nation by David Niose

3202093

bookshelves: non-fiction, politics, religious-nuts

I ended up skimming the last half because about 90% of the information in this book was familiar to me - a consequence of having paid attention to the secular/atheist scene for the last 5 years. However my boredom doesn't imply that this is a boring book. Not at all - it's written very well! I think it's an excellent starter book for its target audience - the secular person who perhaps has at last decided "Yes, I'm secular - or atheist," (not necessarily the same thing!) and wants an overview of why the Religious Right has turned this country into god god god 24/7 despite the fact that the number of secular Americans is the highest that it has ever been. A good read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Nonbeliever Nation.

November 29, 2012 – Started Reading
November 29, 2012 – Shelved
November 29, 2012 – Shelved as: non-fiction
November 29, 2012 – Shelved as: politics
November 29, 2012 – Shelved as: religious-nuts
November 29, 2012 –
page 3
1.15% "Stuff you would never hear presidential candidates say today:\n "Of course, like every other man of intelligence and education I do believe in organic evolution. It surprises me that at this late date such questions should be raised."-Woodrow Wilson\n \n "the great Darwin"-Theodore Roosevelt\n \n "I don't know of any crime that the oppressors and their hirelings have not proven by the Bible."-Eugene Debs\n \n continued..."
December 2, 2012 –
page 92
35.11% "Ooooh, I'd never heard of this guy - Giordano Bruno . Another one the Catholic Church burned at the stake..."
December 6, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)

Rachel (BAVR) Adding this one to my shelves. I need a bit of sanity to offset the pile o' crap I usually read. >:D

message 2: by Karla (new)

Karla Rachel (BAVR) wrote: "I need a bit of sanity to offset the pile o' crap I usually read. >:D"

To what could you possibly be referring? :D

Rachel (BAVR) Um, nothing. Nothing at all. :)