Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog)'s Reviews > Heart of Obsidian

Heart of Obsidian by Nalini Singh

There has been so much hype surrounding the 12th book in Nalini Singh’s Psy-Changeling series. With the identity of the hero and heroine kept under wraps until the book was released, readers have been on edge with anticipation as speculations reached a whirlwind of activity.

Singh had a major challenge on her hands. The big reveal could either blow readers away with her ingenious plan or it could become a major disappoint. However, had there ever been a doubt to Singh’s talent? A master of lyrical words and quiet, but intense emotions, Singh pens an epic masterpiece with the latest installment to the series. Readers will be floored not only by the reveal of the characters, but also by its lyrical detail and its heart-stopping emotions. HEART OF OBSIDIAN stands as one of the best books Singh has penned in her career.

Attention to detail is what Singh prevails in. Each page, each word is necessary in building a vivid, dramatic picture. The main characters are hauntingly real and claw into your heart with their broken pasts. Action on a level you’ve never seen before in this series takes this book from good to stellar. I felt that Singh poured her whole soul into the pages of this book. You can feel her heartbeats pulsing on the page.

In a dramatic and satisfying serving, HEART OF OBSIDIAN not only surpassed my high expectations, but Singh has ruined me for all other books. Passion on this level cannot be easily redone or replicated. Only Singh holds that power to blend lethal power and restrained passion and make it work.

Reviewed for Fresh Fiction

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heart of Obsidian.

November 28, 2012 – Shelved
June 4, 2013 – Shelved as: series-psy-changeling
June 4, 2013 – Shelved as: books-i-own
June 4, 2013 – Finished Reading
June 6, 2013 – Shelved as: 2013-favorites

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)

Angela This was so incredibly awesome, right? I had high expectations for this book, and she totally blew my mind!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Yes! So freaking good! So detailed and each page I was entranced!

Angela Me too!! I was glued to the pages and in such suspense. I think I may have to read it again if I'm to do justice to any sort of review

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) After finishing, I immediately wanted to do a reread! And I wanna reread some of the older books!

Angela LOL! Yeah, I was just thinking this morning - even though I just re-read the series - I want to go back and do it again. To put together some of the things I only guessed at, or didn't realize the significance of :)

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Definitely one of my top faves of this series though! I do love Branded by Fire too. I reread that one a lot

Angela It's so hard to pick favorites in this series, but I do think this one edges out my others. By a small, little bit. I still love StS, CbI, BbF, BoJ (well that looks funny :P) PoP and KoS, too. Like I said, hard to pick a single favorite. They're all so great!

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) I know, it's such a consistently good series!

MelissaB Wonderful review! This book was amazing, I also wanted to immediately reread it

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Me too Melissa! I reread some last night already :D:D looooved

Cindy I was so glad I worked all weekend. This time I didn't devour it in one day! I did go back & reread the Tatiana scene. Payback's a bitch huh?

Annie (Under the Covers Book Blog) Hell yeah! Kaleb is a badass scary mofo