Nerija's Reviews > One Salt Sea

One Salt Sea by Seanan McGuire

bookshelves: fantasy, folklore-fairytales, favorites, books-reviewed-at-postcards-blog

Just finished this one a few minutes ago. I'm stunned and a bit shell-shocked, so the following reflections might not be entirely coherent. I honestly did not expect (view spoiler)

And that leads to the one case where McGuire's repetition didn't feel annoying (I get it, I get it - Toby's addicted to coffee. She'll probably give herself caffeine poisoning one day. I get it) -- (view spoiler)

I LOVE the version of Faerie that McGuire has created, even though it's disconcerting to have to see Selkies as (view spoiler). They're one of my favorite kinds of mythical creature. Oh well. That's what makes McGuire's world so unique and interesting. It was especially interesting to see how she (view spoiler).

I kind of wish (view spoiler). Again -- Oh well. The way things did end made sense. Besides, (view spoiler).

I am interested in seeing how the story develops further. I've requested Book 1 from my local library, so I can finally understand the basics of this world, and how the different kinds of Fae relate to one another. I do wish McGuire included a Fae dictionary in addition to the pronunciation guide.

I may or may not continue on to Ashes of Honor.

More at Postcards .

. . . . .
My reviews of the other Toby books:

Rosemary and Rue

In Sea-Salt Tears
Rat-Catcher
Forbid the Sea
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read One Salt Sea.

Finished Reading
November 28, 2012 – Shelved
November 28, 2012 – Shelved as: favorites
November 28, 2012 – Shelved as: folklore-fairytales
November 28, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
December 13, 2012 – Shelved as: books-reviewed-at-postcards-blog

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)

message 1: by sj (new) - rated it 4 stars

sj Okay, so I am now VERY interested to see how you feel about the first four, and then the one that follows this.

I know you'll let me know, but I'm just sayin'...keep me posted.

message 2: by Nerija (last edited Dec 15, 2012 07:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nerija Oh, I will. *Creepy Yoda voice* I will ;-)

message 3: by sj (new) - rated it 4 stars