Christoph Fischer's Reviews > iPlot

iPlot by Lord R. Benson

Nov 28, 2012

Read from November 28 to December 01, 2012

Lord R. Benson’s “iPlot” is an entertaining, run-of-the-mill crime thriller that involves a large ensemble cast of amateurs and professionals who investigate the assassination of the seemingly unpopular Australian Prime Minister. Benson skilfully introduces the main players of the various sub-“plots” in a way that avoids predictability and keeps us guessing as to where the story leads us.
Once in Australia, the mature couple, whose iPad has been lost, begin their own investigation and team up with a journalist to find out more about their suspicions which were raised by the information they found on the other iPad. The story also involves a Pharmaceutical lab technician, the assassinated Prime Minister and her staff, politicians and governmental staff and others, all of whom have some connection to the case.
The twists and turns of the novel makes this debut a pleasant read although I occasionally found the fleshing out of scenes and characters with (in my view) unnecessary detail interrupted the flow, particularly the lengthy discussions of contemporary politics and transcripts of chat conversations.
As the ‘plot thickens’ the pace picks up but ended with a slight disappointment when the story ended too sudden and easy for my liking.
For a debut in crime fiction of this complexity “iPlot” is an ambitious and solid piece of work. Admittedly, I would have liked some of the characters to have a little bit more bite, colour or substance and although the title is brilliant and catchy, I found the phrase: “An apple a day will not keep conspiracy at bay” an unfortunate choice. I did however read the book in almost one sitting, which goes to show that it does work well. Not as ‘electrifying’ as the press release promised, but professional and distinct.

1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read iPlot.