Nickie's Reviews > Griffin Rising

Griffin Rising by Darby Karchut

I won a free paperback copy of 'Griffin Rising' through a blog giveaway. I was in no way compensated for this review.

'Griffing Rising' follows Griffin, a teen who is actually a Terrae Angeli (guardian angel capable of manipulating earth and fire). As a boy, he is trained by the sadistic and abusive Nicopolis, who beats him and starves him whenever Griffin fails one of his tasks. Eventually, Nicopolis gets so frustrated with Griffin's performance that the boy is shipped off to Basil to continue his training.

But Basil is everything Nicopolis is not -- honest, kind, patient, and gentle. Griffin finally receives proper training, but fears his Proelium, a test that determines whether he will take his place alongside other guardian angels or have his powers taken away and become a mortal. Does Griffin have what it takes?

What I liked about this book:
Griffin and Basil are completely loveable characters. They're both honest, brave, and true, and even though there are missteps along the way, their devotion to their job as guardian angels and to each other is clear.

Griffin's character growth was nicely handled. He came from an abusive background, and much of the book focuses on Griffin learning how to trust Basil and how to have confidence in his own abilities.

'Griffin's Rising' has a unique structure. Diary entries from various characters are included in the beginning of each chapter, but the story itself is told in the third person. At first, I found the diary entries a little weird, but as I read farther through the book, I actually enjoyed the technique. The diary entries let us see inside of each character's head without resorting to the dreaded 'head-jumping' that can happen in third person narratives.

What I didn't like about this book:
The prologue and the first chapter were really hard to get through. I think I started this book four times before I was actually able to make it all the way through.

The prologue shows a scene right before Griffin's Proelium, and I kept thinking I had picked up the wrong book in the series, and that I'd missed the first book. I go a little crazy when I have to read things out of chronological order!

Final verdict:
Give this one a shot, and push through that prologue. This is a solid 4 star book that starts a bit slow, but is well worth the reading.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Griffin Rising.

Finished Reading