Kristine Hall's Reviews > Under the Never Sky

Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi

Nov 27, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: audiobook, action, dystopian, romance, paranormal, sci-fi, ya

3.5 is more accurate. I listened to this book straight through on a drive from Texas to Alabama. After spending nearly nine hours listening to the story, I arrived at my destination with less than an hour of listening left. I didn't think twice about turning it off, and was not agonizing over finishing the story -- didn't even get around to it until I wanted to start another book and realized I hadn't finished this one -- and that really sums it up.

As an audiobook, the narrator did a fantastic job voicing the numerous characters in the story. I was fully entertained and enjoyed that there were some elements unique to this story that I hadn't read in other dystopian books. Many parts were predictable (including the romance) and just too coincidental, but what really lacked for me was the world building; there was just too much left for readers to figure out in what seemed like a pretty spectacular world.

It is possible that some of the fogginess of the story is cleared-up in the next installment of the series, but I am certain I am not compelled enough to pick up the book and read the story. If another audiobook were to fall in my lap -- for free - then yes, I'd listen to it on one of my long drives.

For those who are interested or concerned about it, the book is pretty violent, much of it gory, a near sexual assault, consensual sex between two older teens (not graphic), and a bunch of drinking of alcohol by same.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Under the Never Sky.

November 27, 2012 – Shelved