The Book Maven's Reviews > Winter of the World

Winter of the World by Ken Follett

Nov 27, 2012

bookshelves: read-historical-fiction
Read from November 20 to 25, 2012

There are many things that I can say about Ken Follett and the second book in his Century trilogy--and remarkably, just about everything I have to say is good!

-First, Ken Follett's books are where history, soap opera, good storytelling, and statistically improbably coincidence meet.

-Second, Ken Follett is an unlikely combination of Edward Rutherfurd and Danielle Steel.

-Third, if you have a person who likes to read, but hates history, this would be the kind of book to give him.

-My issue with lengthy, multi-volume tomes like this is that a lot of times, I forget characters, connections, and events between publications. Follett skillfully makes everything clear without ever making you feel as though stuff is being rehashed.

-Fourth, last, and most important (and complimentary): even to this day, we often wonder about the collective insanity that gripped Europe (specifically, Germany, France, Italy, etc.) when they embraced National Socialism. Follett does an outstanding, let me repeat, OUTSTANDING job of portraying (without preaching) how good, regular Germans could be utterly oppressed and bullied into fearfully remaining silent as Hitler and the Nazis destroyed their country. What Follett's books lack in profundity, they make up for in empathy and an accurate historical perspective.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Winter of the World.

03/06/2016 marked as: read