Maria's Reviews > Haven 6

Haven 6 by Aubrie Dionne

I received a complimentary copy of this book as a part of a blog tour in exchange for a fair and honest review.

Two warring tribes, birdmen and a spaceship which has reached it's destination after a 500 year journey, are just part of the action taking place in Haven 6, the fourth and final book in Aubrie Dionne's New Dawn series. With a likable heroine and hero, good dialogue and a well developed setting, Ms. Dionne's sci-fi romance captured my attention from the first page. While it's been a while since we last visited the planet called "Refuge", last seen at the end of Paradise 21, it was nice to discover what's happened in the 300 plus years since we left it.

Linguist Eridani "Eri" Smith is the product of an illegal pairing and the only adult female aboard the spaceship Heritage, who's been denied a lifemate. Feeling sorry for herself, and secretly contemplating hacking the computer system which chooses lifemates, she's pleased to be selected as part of the advance landing team on the planet they know as Haven 6 (which we know as Refuge). Hoping a successful mission would force the captain to give her a lifemate, Eri is surprised to discover her new brother in law has been placed in charge of the mission. With a warning from her sister, Eri is not exactly sure just what their mission is, are they to establish friendly communications or spy on the planets alien lifeforms in order to seize the planet for themselves?

Young, strong and virile, Striver is the leader of his tribe. Determined to keep his people safe from the "lawless" pirates who inhabit another part of their planet, he's also tasked with helping "The Guardians" keep what technology they have away from what's left of humanity. He's also trying to keep his distance from one of his tribeswomen who wants to become his mate. When a space shuttle arrives on his planet, he knows it's important to discover their plans and make sure their technology doesn't fall into the hands of the lawless.

The scenes between Eri and Striver are well written and their relationship develops at a very nice pace. With so much at stake, it's important they get to know each other and discover who's worthy of trust. Ms. Dionne did an excellent job developing their characters and introducing Eri to the descendants of a previously lost ship. As they learn to trust each other, Eri will have to make a choice between doing what her captain wants or doing what is best for everyone involved. At the same time, Striver will have to decide if he's made a mistake by giving Eri his trust.

The secondary characters are well developed and their actions help to move the story along, I especially liked Litus, Eri's brother in law, Eri's sister Aquaria and Phoenix, the lead "Guardian" (you'll have to read the book to find out just who they are). The villains of the story are also well developed from Commander Greer, the human who's brain operates the space ship Heritage, to Jolt, the leader of the lawless. We also get introduced to Weaver, Striver's younger brother, who leaves his brother and his tribe to join the lawless.

Will all of Eri's dreams come true and will Striver agree to be her lifemate? Will the old and the new inhabitants of Haven learn to get along and learn from man's previous mistakes? You'll have to read Haven 6 to find out. I really enjoyed it and I think you will too.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Haven 6.

Started Reading