Paula Weston's Reviews > Words in Deep Blue

Words in Deep Blue by Cath Crowley

Sep 21, 2016

bookshelves: australian, young-adult, my-favourites

Words in Deep Blue is magnificent.

I vividly remember reading Graffiti Moon a few years ago and falling in love with Cath Crowley and the way she sees the world. I've been waiting patiently (along with her legion of fans) for whatever came next.

It's so been worth the wait. Words in Deep Blue is everything I hoped it would be.

While Graffiti Moon was about street artists and the power of art and friendship, Words in Deep Blue is about readers and the power of books and love: love between siblings, friends and lovers. It's also a love letter to book stores and booksellers.

Anyone who's ever bought a secondhand book and found scribbles in the margins, underlined passages, or a random note left between pages knows the magic of these discoveries. Cath Crowley weaves her story around such books, set in the kind of bookstore we all wish existed.

Words in Deep Blue is beautiful, erudite, funny and poignant. Moving and heartfelt. I loved the setting, the mood, the characters and - of course - Cath's lovely style. The writing is gorgeous in its poetry, humour and insight.

Highly recommended.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Words in Deep Blue.

November 26, 2012 – Shelved
Started Reading
January 1, 2016 – Finished Reading
July 28, 2016 – Shelved as: to-read
September 21, 2016 – Shelved as: australian
September 21, 2016 – Shelved as: young-adult
September 21, 2016 – Shelved as: my-favourites

Christine Bongers Did you cry at the end, Paula? My 17 year old laughed at me sobbing into my muesli, but it was so so lovely.

Paula Weston Yes, there were tears.

Trisha I had tears waay before the end. #sook

Paula Weston There were a few moments. :)