Book Bite Reviews's Reviews > The Madman's Daughter

The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd

Jun 23, 2017

liked it

I'm sure you already know that The Madman's Daughter is based on H.G. Wells' Island of Dr. Moreau.

Juliet finds herself 'orphaned' and in desperate need of housing when she runs into Montgomery, a long-time childhood servant of her families, whom she hasn't seen in years. He takes Juliet on a long journey back to an Island far in the Pacific. It is here she meets her father again. She believed, like everyone, that he was dead but she soon finds out that the rumors about him being a madman are true. Her father is doing things to animals he keeps on the Island, turning them into human looking creatures and vice versa. He says he is their god. The animals have a set of commandments they must adhere to even. Only these creatures eventually turn on him. Ajax, in particular, has chosen to regress back to his original animal form.
There is a love interest between Juliet and Montgomery and secrets are revealed about a certain character called Edward Prince. Balthazar is one of Dr. Moreau's creatures who serves his purpose well.
I was glad Juliet was able to escape off that God forsaken Island, however, not in the current fashion. Leaving her closest friends behind.

I won't be reading the other books in this trilogy because I am not interested.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Madman's Daughter.

November 26, 2012 – Shelved