ILoveBooks's Reviews > The Breath of Dawn

The Breath of Dawn by Kristen Heitzmann

The Breath of Dawn is the first book by Heitzmann I have read and I’m glad I got the chance to review it! The story revolves around two conflicted individuals colliding and saving each other in more than one way. Quinn Reilly sent a con man to jail and he promised her that he will “make her pay”. Now – four years later – he was released. Her sister Hannah called to warn her, putting Quinn on the run. Morgan Spencer had lost the love of his life in a car crash, plus a daughter due to leukemia, which leaft him with his youngest infant named Olivia (Livie for short). When his wife died, he moved into his brothers’ guest ranch in the high country of Colorado. Moving forward a few years, Morgan wants to move back to Santa Barbara. One day he sees his neighbor, Quinn, is moving, so he thinks of buying her house instead.

Worlds clash and both Quinn and Morgan help each other emotionally and physically. Quinn feels like she’s a part of a family and Morgan tries to open his heart. It hurts for him; the pain of losing his wife is still an open wound. Even though Quinn wants to stay, she cannot risk the lives of the people she’s come to care about.

This book isn't a very “happy” book. It has conflict, inner struggles, a little bit of humor to take the edge off, and lessons to be learned. I don’t like drama books at ALL… instead I’m more of a happy-go-lucky / instalove type. Looking past all of that I really enjoyed the plotline and characters. Yes, it’s sad and I teared up a little, but it was interesting and kept me engaged. That’s honestly hard to do for me. Heitzmann put so much energy into this book and the reader can tell. This isn't a book that the reader will forget about. When I was finished with the book I kept thinking about it for a few days and letting the messages and ending sink in. It’s not a “cute” book, but something I would recommend for people. I didn't skip any pages, every single one kept me engaged. Even though I don’t like drama books, I would recommend this particular novel to adult readers.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Breath of Dawn.

Finished Reading
November 26, 2012 – Shelved

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Tara (new) - added it

Tara I'm sad for you, because you read this one before its two prequels. I didn't ready he back before I started reading this book and the prologue had me crying instantly. I wish you could have fallen I. Love with Morgan, Rick, Jill and Noelle before you read this one. :-)