Matt Weber's Reviews > The Happiest Toddler on the Block: The New Way to Stop the Daily Battle of Wills and Raise a Secure and Well-Behaved One- To Four-Year-Old

The Happiest Toddler on the Block by Harvey Karp

12086557
Nov 25, 2012

liked it

A difficult read, but its very disjointedness accumulates through the chapters to ramify into a very real hallucinatory power. Characters flit through, ghostlike, evanescent, there and gone, so transitory that mere recurrence strikes one like a thunderbolt -- for example, the brothers Aidan and Nate, the source of whose tantrums is never fully anatomized but whose too-brief anguishes ignite the page like black fire. The repetitious, misspelled incantations of thwarted desire sometimes recall Faulkner's Benjy, sometimes Keyes' Charly, sometimes (perhaps most poignantly) McCarthy's nameless Kid; and the image of prehistoric man, slope-browed, iron-thewed, and parched for blood, painting buffalo on the walls of the caves of our children's hearts, will haunt even the most stoic reader long after the last page rustles shut.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Happiest Toddler on the Block.

November 25, 2012 – Started Reading
November 25, 2012 – Shelved
November 27, 2012 – Finished Reading

message 1: by Sarah (new) - added it

Sarah Hickman I think this review is attached to the wrong book - Happiest Toddler on the Block is odd at times, but "real hallucinatory power" is a stretch :)

Morgan Schulman Thanks I needed that