Nic's Reviews > The Closer You Get

The Closer You Get by L.A. Witt

bookshelves: mm, series, menage, samhain-purchased, zz-amazon-yes

When I finished the first book in this series The Distance Between Us, I was left feeling slightly disappointed because I wanted to see Kieran get his happy ever after. Obviously this was a common feeling amongst readers according to the author dedication: "To everyone who said Kieran deserved his own story: I agree. This one's for you." Thank you L.A. Witt!

I didn't fully understand Kieran's actions in The Distance Between us and exactly what he was getting out of the relationship with Rhett and Ethan. It was good to get insight into Kieran and greater understanding of his feelings about the relationship. I was reassured to find out that he didn't feel used!

The premise of this story is fairly simple - Kieran, self-declared slut "Some people said that made me a slut. Hey, if the shoe fits... finally meets the man who breaks down his barriers, the man worth risking a relationship. Alex is a virgin in every sense of the word - he hasn't kissed a girl or a boy and really has led a very sheltered existence.

"The manwhore and the virgin. Wow, this is crazy."

Told from Kieran's point of view, we see how Kieran educates Alex, taking him under his wing. I could appreciate how slowly Kieran moved, how considerate he was for Alex's feelings, not wanting to rush him and wanting to make sure all his experiences were good ones. It was so obvious that Kieran had developed deep feelings for Alex, even if he couldn't acknowledge it himself.

Some of Alex's 'education' was quite amusing as Kieran explains the workings of dating and sex, taking him to sex shops and experimenting together. "I guess I always thought...um...toys were more for women." "Depending on who you ask, the same could be said for c**ks," I said. "but as far as I'm concerned, what's good for the goose...". At other times it was just sweet and gentle.

The shift from sex to love is gradual. Kieran needs to address his fear of long-term relationships and the hurt that can be caused. He is also mindful that Alex hasn't had a chance to experience more of the world, to date other people but luckily Alex is wiser "Maybe that's why fate made me wait so long. So my first could be my only."

There is definitely an extra star given for the totally romantic epilogue!

I now publish all my m/m reviews on my blog so if you want to see all my m/m reviews in one place come visit at Because Two Men Are Better Than One!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Closer You Get.

November 25, 2012 – Shelved