Cissa's Reviews > Writers of the Future Volume 28

Writers of the Future Volume 28 by L. Ron Hubbard

Nov 25, 2012

This is the first time I've read one of these anthologies- I can see I've been missing out!

No bad stories here, though some were more polished than others. To mention a few:

"The Siren" by M.O. Muriel was truly weird and surreal; nicely paced, though, as our understanding of what was going on tracked the events quite tightly.

"Contact Authority" by William Mitchell was a good first-contact story with a twist. Nicely done in the first-contact aspects, and the galactic ramifications were interesting and well-thought-out.

I'm not sure what to think about "My Name is Angela" (Harry Lang), except that it will stay with me for quite a while. it was an intense and compelling read.

These stories were the high points for me, though I did enjoy several of the others. A few of them, though, were pretty predictable- "The Command for Love" by Nick T. Chan, for example, and the first 2 stories. And "While Ireland Holds These graves" by Tom Doyle just never really came together; I think there was too much world background needed, and not enough was included.

Unfortunately, we only get to see small grayscale versions of the winning illustrator's work, and that's really not enough to make any informed opinions on it- color would make such a difference!

This MMPB is also ungainly- it is too big to even open comfortably without cracking the spine, and a number of the pages had printing so close to the binding that it was difficult to read. If one really must make such a huge MMPB, being careful to have sufficient margins toward the spine is vital to keep it readable.

I appreciate all the effort that went into writing and collecting these stories and illustrations, and for the most part I enjoyed this collection more than most anthologies i read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Writers of the Future Volume 28.

Started Reading