Annette's Reviews > Come Love a Stranger

Feb 14, 2009

it was ok
bookshelves: fantasy-and-romance
Read in February, 2009

I always have more then one book on the go. I read this one years ago and recently discovered it again and started to read it...forgetting until I got into it that I had read it some years ago--yes, I have many books around here.
I started to read it, but I have a tendency to want to read everything and if I visit the library it is worse..lol..that is when I picked up the other two books I have listed by Kathleen E. Woodwiss. I'll share some detail of Come Love a Stranger and I'll be back when I finish it..as I can't remember the ending.
Quick and simple: Ashton and Leirin marry quickly. Then on a ship they are attack. Leirin falls over board and as she struggles to stay afloat she sees Ashton stabbed and her skirts drag her under the water. Three years later, in 1833 a madhouse burns to the ground. A confused woman rides away and crashes into a carriage, knocked unconscious. It's Ashton's carriage and he takes her home. He can't believe his wife is back and where has she been. No one in his family had met her because of their fast marriage when they met someplace else. She wakes and can't remember who she is. The family is doubtful and could she have been in the madhouse and why?

update...They made the woman way too dumb in this book...Yeah, I know, she had to stay with the mean guy so she could discover the body and her dad's picture in the attack and so on and so forth...But really, no one would stay with the mean guy to wait for her memory to come back..you'd stay with the nice guy. Plus she meets a man in a store who remembers something about her, things she told him when she was in before she lost her memory and she ends up telling the mean jerk what the man in the store said...then she sees the nice man who she loves and is trying to help her out and she doesn't tell him. She can't even figure out that the mean man is trying to get her to sign her name so documents could be forged.
It's a nice story, but all along your thinking 'why would you stay with him?'

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Come Love a Stranger.