preppea's Reviews > Stray

Stray by Rachel Vincent

Nov 25, 2012

liked it
bookshelves: paranormal, urban-fantasy, werecats, zz-reviewed

Hmmm... I thought this was a good intro to a completely different species of paranormal. Faythe is a female werecat, and as a female in a predominately male species, she has a major role in the future survival of the species. Faythe knows she wants to be more than just a breeder, but she struggles with exactly what it is she wants. Sometimes she seems to want more power and a stronger voice amongst her Pride, other times she just wants to escape and pretend she's an average human.

I found Faythe's determination to be independent while lacking conviction on why she was so against her role in the Pride to be somewhat annoying. If she didn't want to be part of the Pride or wanted to be and wasn't allowed to, I'd get it - but it seems like she's fighting just for the sake of fighting. On the other hand, perhaps that is her youth and immaturity and I'm willing to keep reading to find out. Faythe is definitely a strong character who will have some great powers as she comes into her own. The action in this book was really good, though I'm hoping the love interest(s) is delved into more in the next book because I also found that lacking on all accounts. Marc and Jace both seemed like they could be great options but neither were pursued to a level that made me think Faythe really had feelings for either of them. I found that frustrating as well, she doesn't have to pick either but going back and forth without solid interest in either seemed selfish.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Stray.