Christine's Reviews > Book of the Dead

Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell

Feb 14, 2009

did not like it
Read in February, 2009

This is one of the worst books I've ever suffered through. Rich finally asked me why I was still reading it after i exclaimed aloud for the umpteenth time about how awful it was, and all I could do to explain was talk about how much I enjoyed the early books she wrote and how I couldn't believe how it kept getting worse and I had to see how it panned out. Awful. The early ones really were fun, technically interesting, interesting characters, decently written (never anything amazing), thrilling and generally pleasant little reads. The last one of hers that I read about 4-5 years ago was not up to the standard of the others I'd remembered (and bizarrely had changed from first person in the first dozen or so books to the third person), but when I found this one on a free book pile I thought I'd give it another chance. What a mistake - the characters didn't make any sense, most of them displayed bizarre behavior, dialogs were choppy, nonsensical and at times pathological. As I read I kept thinking about how many cardinal signs of mental illness were present in different elements of the book - rampant paranoia by some characters, weird fixations, hypersexualization, hugely disordered thinking. It was so bad it was almost fascinating to keep reading it. A little research on the author reveals that she does indeed have some mental health issues of her own which makes things make a little more sense. How could her publisher have let this go to press without substantial editing? I'm glad I didn't spend any money on this book or I would have felt cheated, as it is the few hours of time I spent reading it were a sad loss.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Book of the Dead.

04/03/2016 marked as: read