Mark Fitzpatrick's Reviews > Our Band Could Be Your Life: Scenes from the American Indie Underground, 1981-1991

Our Band Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad

bookshelves: nonfiction

This was a landmark book that arguably helped with the resurgence of underground-alternative-indie rock from the 1980s; causing the reuniting or re-popularity of Mission of Burma, Dinosaur Jr, Bob Mould (Husker Du), etc. This book was monumental to my appreciation of underground music. I am an avid lover of music, ranging from indie to post-punk to garage to hardcore punk to experimental music. Reading this work was at times moving and deeply touched my musical chords. Perhaps that is my bias, but no book or scholarship on the American underground covering bands from Black Flag to Beat Happening had existed at the time. Surely, more bands could be added to such a book and do not forget the influence the UK, Australia, Japan, and other countries from around the world had on underground music. However, as Azerrad wrote, you can write about those bands in the future. These scenes and cultural networks that arose musically across America did create a new paradigm for music appreciation. As the Minutemen song "History Lesson Part II" explains, "this is Bob Dylan to me". The band that started out from a garage or house in DC, LA, Austin, Seattle, Boston, New York, etc, could become the greatest band in your life. That spirit was beautifully captured in Azerrad's incredible writing that dived incredibly deep into the lives and histories of these bands. A landmark book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Band Could Be Your Life.

Finished Reading