Anushka's Reviews > Allegiant

Allegiant by Veronica Roth

it was ok
bookshelves: ya, sci-fi-dystopia, i-cried, 3-plus-half, them-feels, disappointed

Also find this review here - BookLikes

Mockingjay (Hunger Games), Requiem (Delirium), Sever (Chemical Garden), The Scorch Trials (Maze Runner) and now we add Allegiant to the list of ya-dystopian-series-finale-gone-wrong. [IMO, Sever was great but some disagree and I have not read Maze Runner, I’m relying on my friend Scarlet’s views here]. Now I’m led to believe that only Patrick Ness can write a perfect ending to a perfect series [Go read his Chaos Walking trilogy NOW if you haven’t.] Before I turn this into “All hail Ness” article let me jump back to Allegiant.

*long sigh*

I can’t write a review this time, I have many scattered thoughts about this book which I’m going to list out so I'm sorry if this feels too haphazard in structure.

First thing, Allegiant is so beyond and disconnected from Divergent and Insurgent, it’s setting so much bigger that it could have been turned into a spin-off series. While reading this book you’ll realise how tiny the previous world was.

Now, I see a lot of people hating this book with a fiery passion, I’m NOT among them. I didn't love it, didn't hate it, neither am I in-between. I felt obliged to read Allegiant because I liked the first 2 books, that’s all. My thoughts about this book are few and not very strong because it didn't matter to me. Just like School Spirits. I don’t want to decide anything because this book is one of those “comes and goes” books, which you read and don’t ponder upon.

But as I said, my mind is forced to dwell upon this book for I loved Divergent a lot.
See, Divergent was never a proper dystopia, it doesn't fit the definition at all but V. Roth made it promising by her writing. Divergent and Insurgent with their action sequences, fast pace and mindless fun made the read worthwhile. Plus, Roth is a good writer, you can’t deny that, there are some quotes that are just unforgettable. I never felt deeply connected to the world she created but still I loved it because there is one thing in this series that I really cherish.

And no, that’s not Four. It’s Tris.

Many people find her annoying, unlikable, a jerk but let me tell you this – If there is one heroine I have felt the most familiar with, it’s her. I say my most favourite protag is Rose Hathaway because I want to be like her but a protag that is closest to me is Tris. When I first read Divergent I was surprised by how much I am like her. Her every little thought mirrored mine so it was very comfortable for me to step into her shoes. And obviously, that’s why I agreed with everything she said or did, that’s why I was eager to read a book where I felt I was narrating it. The fact touched me.

But Allegiant is where this bond between me and the book started breaking as I disagreed with the way Tris acted as a litmus test to determine what's right and what's wrong. She set the bar to determine what should be done and what shouldn't and this time I lost the sense of intimacy I experienced with her character.
With Tobias’s inclusion, it became a bit uncomfortable as well. Don’t get me wrong, Tobias’s narration is as welcoming as Tris but the problem is it’s almost the same. I do not like it when an author tries dual or multiple POV but doesn’t master it and that’s what happened here. Tris and Tobias voice is so similar that after reading half a chapter I had to go back and check who’s narrating it.

Finally, the ending.

Choosing the title “Allegiant”, then the cover of the book to the change in setting, it was clear from the beginning that V. Roth was trying to create something different. So, of course the ending followed the same road. I think it was purposely done so people would “talk” about it, to create an instant buzz.

I’m not unfamiliar with this kind of ending, I've seen a similar closure in another book –which if I mention will spoil both the series for you – and the fact that I had been hearing that “OMG. Allegiant’s ending will break your heart” for the past 2 weeks, it really didn't hit me as hard as it should have, in fact, I had been expecting it.

I have two final thoughts – Either all of this was planned from the very beginning or it wasn't planned at all. Veronica Roth just created it along the way because first 2 books are distant from 3rd book but they are connected in small threads as well. So, I think that either she had planned only first two properly then took all her time to write Allegiant or this had always been her intention. I’d actually love to get an answer to this question, if I get a chance I’ll definitely ask her.

I did not hate Allegiant to the extent to break all my ties with this series, I’ll remember it for a lot of things I liked about it and so all the books Veronica Roth decides to write in the future will definitely be in my to-read list.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Allegiant.

Quotes Anushka Liked

Veronica Roth
“There are so many ways to be brave in this world. Sometimes bravery involves laying down your life for something bigger than yourself, or for someone else. Sometimes it involves giving up everything you have ever known, or everyone you have ever loved, for the sake of something greater.

But sometimes it doesn't.

Sometimes it is nothing more than gritting your teeth through pain, and the work of every day, the slow walk toward a better life.

That is the sort of bravery I must have now.”

Veronica Roth
“I wonder if fears ever really go away, or if they just lose their power over us.”

Veronica Roth
“You don’t believe things because they make your life better, you believe them because they’re true.”

November 24, 2012 – Shelved
January 23, 2013 – Shelved as: ya
January 23, 2013 – Shelved as: sci-fi-dystopia
October 23, 2013 –
0.0% "OHHH MYYY GOD!! I'm so excited. :D"
October 28, 2013 –
page 65
12.36% "Um, why do we have Four's side of narration again?"
November 6, 2013 – Started Reading
November 7, 2013 –
page 253
48.1% "I liked this book until this page. This very page.\n \n Why should there be so many complications? So many alliances? It's tiring to keep track of everything. :\"
November 7, 2013 – Shelved as: i-cried
November 7, 2013 – Shelved as: 3-plus-half
November 7, 2013 – Shelved as: them-feels
November 8, 2013 – Finished Reading
December 3, 2013 – Shelved as: disappointed

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)

Raiysa You'll find out soon enough, and you're not gonna like it.

Flora That comment raises the hairs on the back of my neck I'M TERRIFIED NOW

Raiysa *glaring* *sudden uncontrollable sob* *looking away and stomping my feet*

Lisa Apparently the plot was planned all along. I heard an interview with Veronica Roth's agent saying that the ending was always supposed to be like this.

Anushka Lisa wrote: "Apparently the plot was planned all along. I heard an interview with Veronica Roth's agent saying that the ending was always supposed to be like this."

Really? Wow, V. Roth has always been this evil, then. :P

message 6: by Alicia (new)

Alicia If you're like Tris, then that makes you unlikable, annoying and a jerk. :P

Jessie Haha I think I would've hated the book if it wasn't for that ending. I absolutely loved how Veronica Roth ended the series.(The final Tobias chapters? Not so much...)

message 8: by Samadrita (new)

Samadrita I think Mockingjay was a good conclusion to the series, just a few minor irritants aside.

Anushka Samadrita wrote: "I think Mockingjay was a good conclusion to the series, just a few minor irritants aside."

Even I think so, but I wasn't a THG fan from the first book itself so.. to me, it still is a mediocre book.

Anushka Alicia wrote: "If you're like Tris, then that makes you unlikable, annoying and a jerk. :P"

Don't be so literal. I am likable! -_-

Anushka Jessie wrote: "Haha I think I would've hated the book if it wasn't for that ending. I absolutely loved how Veronica Roth ended the series.(The final Tobias chapters? Not so much...)"

Me either! (view spoiler)

Flora Anushka, I'm really impressed by this review. It reads like a very well-done essay. Seems like you put more thought into this review than Roth did into Allegiant (sorry, to me the plot just seemed so hackneyed). :))

Anushka Flora wrote: "Anushka, I'm really impressed by this review. It reads like a very well-done essay. Seems like you put more thought into this review than Roth did into Allegiant (sorry, to me the plot just seemed ..."

Wow, thanks for your kind words Flora! :)
This is the least "review" kind of review I've ever written, I'm glad you like it.

message 14: by Scarlet (new)

Scarlet Some great points there, Anushka. I particularly like that you mention Roth's writing skills. I believe the reason I liked Divergent had something to do with the way it was written. I knew the story and the characters (Forgive me, I'm not a Tris fan) were flawed, but Roth's words were intense enough to make up for that.
But good writing can only go so far. I really struggled with Insurgent so I won't be reading this.

Anushka Scarlet wrote: "Some great points there, Anushka. I particularly like that you mention Roth's writing skills. I believe the reason I liked Divergent had something to do with the way it was written. I knew the stor..."

Yeah, Allegiant is really slow, you wouldn't like it one bit.

Robin (Bridge Four) I really wanted to love it....but I didn't. So far from the other two books and Tobias didn't come across well at all for me.

I might give a VR book a shot in the future. But I don't think I'll be dying to get it the first day it comes out.

Shelcy The last book in the maze runner trilogy was not The Scorch Trials, it was The Death Cure, I think.

Anushka Shelcy wrote: "The last book in the maze runner trilogy was not The Scorch Trials, it was The Death Cure, I think."

Yep, you're right. Thank you. :)

Anushka Robin wrote: "I really wanted to love it....but I didn't. So far from the other two books and Tobias didn't come across well at all for me.

I might give a VR book a shot in the future. But I don't think I'l..."

Same here.

message 20: by Liz (new) - rated it 1 star

Liz I totally understand where the two stars are coming from! I agree with you about all the points except maybe the ending, because I think it was reasonable. But I have a question about another book you mentioned here. Why do you think was Mockingjay a finale gone wrong??? :)