zan's Reviews > How Should a Person Be?

How Should a Person Be? by Sheila Heti

"The child of Fear Of Flying and Tove Jansson's Fair Play raised on a steady diet of Tumblr" is how I wanted to describe this book and just be done with it. It angered me, and bored me ("I like boring people. I think it's a virtue. People should be a little bored."), and fascinated me, and I was ready to throw it across the room during the whole "Interlude For Fucking" and link to the article someone wrote in the New Yorker about this and Lena Dunham's Girls, because what could I say that it didn't, but then I realized that all of these emotions were provocations, and the fact that I had such strong reactions must mean there is something to it, right? Something big and important? If so, what is it?

I won't give it a star rating, because it's either a 2 or a 5; it so perfectly represents this era and I *hate* that it so perfectly does, and it makes me wonder what this era really is that I should feel so awful about it and at the same time so worked up and oddly inspired.

I hated to love this? I loved to hate this? Somewhere in between?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read How Should a Person Be?.

November 24, 2012 – Started Reading