Steve Moore's Reviews > The Lincoln Highway

The Lincoln Highway by Amor Towles

1966419

it was ok

Tedious, circuitous, and as indecisive as it is impressed with itself. This novel, and nearly all of its characters—save for Sally—overstay their welcome and overplay their hands. What little tension there is quickly dissipates as deus ex machina after deus ex machina is employed to save the hapless and overly trusting Emmett and the unbelievably precocious and almost likable 8-year-old Billy.

There are few characters I have hated more than Duchess in any book I’ve ever read. However, rather than being presented as novel nemesis or fearsome foil, he is as flat and unsatisfying an antagonist as I’ve ever read.

This book could have made for an inventive and fun fantasy read had it incorporated one or two adjustments in its lore (think American Gods), OR could have been a sweet and fun joyride Bildungsroman of a YA novel had it cut 250 pages of junk out (think anything John Green). Instead, what we get is a bloated storyboard of ideas that parades itself around as a narrative with almost thought out characters who are clumsy at best, soulless at worst.

I kept reading this only because everyone I know seems to have LOVED it and I just couldn’t turn away from the car wreck of an experience.

I can tell Towles is talented. I haven’t read his other works, but I’m open to giving him another shot. This book just did t land for me.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lincoln Highway.

March 21, 2022 – Started Reading
March 21, 2022 – Shelved
March 21, 2022 – Shelved as: to-read
April 9, 2022 –
page 375
65.1% "Slow start, good characters, kinda clunky. Feels a little over-invented and tonally confused. Not bad"
April 18, 2022 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by Megan (new) - added it

Megan Lanier Well thought out review Steve! I don't have time in my life for long, 2-star books, so this will be a skip for me!