seton's Reviews > Uncommon Vows

Uncommon Vows by Mary Jo Putney

2012809
Feb 12, 2009

bookshelves: keeper, medieval, tabula-rasa, favorite-heroes, cray-jelly-possessive, ugly-cry
Recommended for: people who like dark, angsty reads

This book may well be my favorite of all of MJP's books for a variety of reasons. First of all, never has her writing been more clear and poetical than in this book. She uses more visual metaphors than usual, especially because of the unique nature of the hero and the simpler time setting (this is MJP's only medieval). I am not a big fan of the medieval period and I know that MJP isn't either but she felt that that the medieval period was the right setting for the tormented hero and the dark love story that she tells here. As always, her choices are unerring. The basic plot is captor/captive. The heroine, Meriel, does not understand how the hero, Adrian, can hold her prisoner in the name of love and it's a painful process as the story unfolds to show a love that is incredibly complex. MJP does add a few twist here and there (amnesia)and there is also a very violent and cinematic fight scene near the end. This book is definitely not for the gentle romance reader.

I first read this book when it came out and have reread it every year. It never fails to bring tears to my eyes. It is an emotional read with beautiful and clear writing on par with some of Laura Kinsale's works like Flowers From The Storm. It'll always have a special place in my heart and I was glad to read that MJP wrote a story involving a decendant of the hero/heroine from this book in a later book, The Wild Child. I guess MJP found this couple as memorable as I do to refer to them after all these years.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Uncommon Vows.

message 1: by BJ Rose (new) - added it

BJ Rose I loved 'The Wild Child' and did not know it was connected to this book. I also love every MJP book I've read, but the synopsis for this one didn't sound appealing, so I skipped it. Your review has convinced me I may have made a mistake, so on the list it goes - thanks!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I really enjoyed this book. It was very vivid and dramatic. I couldn't breathe during the scene when she jumps out of the window.

message 3: by seton (last edited Apr 12, 2009 09:52AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

seton Oh, it's fun to read Wild Child after you have read UV. Most of the references to UV are subtle but they are there throughout the novel if you look for them.

message 4: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina Great review, seton! I´m going to add this book to my TBR/Wish List. It will be my first MJP.

seton Thanks, everyone.

For those who are gonna try it, I suggest you fasten your seatbelts!

message 6: by Dina (new) - added it

Dina As long as I "survive" the ride, I´m up for it! :)

Danielle The Book Huntress (Back to the Books) I will have to pull out Wild Child, in this case. Thanks for the heads up.

Verity Aaaaawww U've whetted my appetite w/ this review. I'm gonna read it next, along w/ Suzanne Enoch - England's purrfect hero, 'cuz I wanted to see what the fuzz is all 'bout. I almost never cry buckets of tears tho' when reading, just blink my foggy lenses ;^P

seton Well, for my reading twin, this is a MUST-read. Get to it, woman! ;-)

bookworm80 Glad to see I'm not the only one who rereads this book every year! It's my favorite MJP's book (Shattered Rainbows is close second).

maggieandteddy Wow, Seton, I saw your review on ammy also. I ordered this in dtb & I keep checking the UPS & mailbox! :)
I'm also collecting MJP Starting Over Series (I still need book 3). Wild Child is also on my WL thanks to your recco.

seton thx! reading the comments makes me want to reread it but i have so much on my tbr pile.

maggie - i would not recommend the starting over series

maggieandteddy seton wrote: "thx! reading the comments makes me want to reread it but i have so much on my tbr pile.

maggie - i would not recommend the starting over series"

ok, thank you! I don't see that in her collection, so maybe she's not as happy with it.
*I haven't read a paperback book in a long time :)

Carol Storm I'm reading this right now, just because I found it in a library sale near my house. Your review really made me feel excited to read more!

bookworm80 I wish MJP wrote the sequel with Adrian's brother, Richard. He seemed like an interesting character in his own way.

seton Carol wrote: "I'm reading this right now, just because I found it in a library sale near my house. Your review really made me feel excited to read more!"

Cool and TY!

seton bookworm80 wrote: "I wish MJP wrote the sequel with Adrian's brother, Richard. He seemed like an interesting character in his own way."

I am over it. I know exactly how the story was probably gonna go anyway: basically Shattered Rainbows or The Barterd Bride in medieval times. Which isnt my fave type of MJP story anyway.

Carol Storm bookworm80 wrote: "I wish MJP wrote the sequel with Adrian's brother, Richard. He seemed like an interesting character in his own way."

I'm just at the beginning now and I'm amazed that Adrian is the hero instead of Richard. It shows how talented MJP can be at creating instantly fascinating guys!

seton I loved how short and pale Adrian was. He didnt look like a badass but he was!

bookworm80 Well, he was normal height. We're all too used to 6'4'' tall guys in romance (even if they were less common in the Middle Ages). MJP has another short hero, Robin in Angel Rogue - another favorite of hers.