Jill's Reviews > Make Believe

Make Believe by J.A. Belfield

4972086

bookshelves: fantasy, r2r, paranormal-romance

Make Believe is a short story anthology of paranormal fantasy/fantasy/sci-fi/dystopian etc. The writers were asked to base a story around the cover picture as long as it was not Little Red Riding hood based and had a happy or near happy ending.

Overall the anthology was good, a quick read with well balanced and varied stories.

Sacrificial Oath by Terri Rochenski

This was an interesting story. We have a simple act that brings severe consequences. I like the exploration of character as a girl figures out how to deal with her own impending death. The character study is good, the nobility is as well, the ending was wrapped up a little to neatly and conveniently, but overall a decent read with a good build up to the conclusion.

The Amulet of Ormisez by J. Keller Ford

This story had the feeling of a gothic romance with the prodigal son returning to the family home and winds up being a story of selkies and an evil amulet. This wasn't one of the strongest stories because it had a lot of plot holes and chronological errors that distracted from it. I like the selkie angle, but the plot errors were distracting.

Birthright by Lynda R. Young

I found this to be the most interesting of the stories. A girl trying to escape her past flees to a small town in Florida for the holidays. Once she gets there, weird things occur that bring to light a mystery of the girls past. This one appealed to me because of the plot twists, the mystery and intrigue.

Petrified by Kelly Said

This story was alright if overly predictable. I do like the idea of a healer class and the magic associated with them. This is basically just a standard fantasy tale with nothing to really make it stand out.

Last Winter Red by Jennifer M. Eaton

This was an interesting story. It reminded me a little of Brave New World. We have to civilizations living apart from each other both thinking the other is diseased and living a strange lifestyle. This follows a girl that is moving from one civilization to the other and the discoveries she makes about her life and herself. This is one of the top stories in the anthology.

Escort to Insanity by J.A. Belfield

I liked this story mainly because of the were creatures, but it also had a lot of plot holes. We never really know why the main were character is working as an escort. The reader can assume he needs the money, but that whole thing was never explained. Then we have the case of insta love with the woman who hired him. Overall this was a run of the mill story. It is leaning on its paranormal creatures to carry the tale and the plot gets neglected.

Overall this is a readable anthology with interesting stories. If you like fantasy short stories, this is a decent anthology to read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Make Believe.

November 23, 2012 – Started Reading
November 23, 2012 – Shelved
November 23, 2012 – Shelved as: fantasy
November 23, 2012 – Shelved as: r2r
November 23, 2012 – Shelved as: paranormal-romance
November 23, 2012 – Finished Reading

Comments Showing 1-1 of 1 (1 new)

message 1: by J. (new) - added it

J. Ford Thank you so much for taking time to read and review MAKE BELIEVE. I'm so glad you enjoyed it.