Nikki 's Reviews > A Face Like Glass

A Face Like Glass by Frances Hardinge

Nov 23, 2012

bookshelves: fantasy, children-s-and-ya, dystopia, favourites

I'd never heard of Frances Hardinge before, and I have no idea how I came across this on the Kindle store, but I'm so very glad I did. It's an enchantment of a book -- I think I said something similar, recently, about Erin Morgenstern's The Night Circus, and I can see the similarities there: the long games being played in both plots, the dazzling strangeness of the worldbuilding, the magic of it all. But at the same time, they're very different stories: it's just something about the flavour that's similar.

A Face Like Glass is marketed as YA, but I don't think you should see that as a discouragement. It's not one of those YA books that slots neatly into the ranks of the YA books that've come before: it's something wild and entirely itself. The same goes for the fact that I've tagged it as dystopia -- it doesn't follow the current dystopia tropes either. It felt like a breath of fresh air for me.

I got hooked on it from Amazon's preview, which is worth a look: it's a slowish start compared to the pace the book gets to near the end, but if you're intrigued by it, you're in for a wonderful ride. I loved every scrap of it, to the extent where I'm almost afraid to look for Frances Hardinge's other books in case they aren't as good. I love Neverfell and I love the bizarre details of the world and all the weird concepts like people being unable to perform expressions without learning them and...

Basically, it's a heck of a ride. Best impulse buy of my year, up to and including my big plush Moomin. Possibly excluding only the ticket I bought to the screening of Avengers Assemble that got me hooked.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Face Like Glass.

Quotes Nikki Liked

Frances Hardinge
“Yes, I know,’ she said in answer to the unasked, for there was no time for explanations. ‘Yes. My face is spoilt.’

Grandible’s jowl wobbled and creased. Then, for the first time that Neverfell could remember, he changed to a Face she had never seen before, a frown more ferocious and alarming than either of the others.

‘Who the shambles told you that?’ he barked. ‘Spoilt? I’ll spoil them.’ He took hold of her chin and examined her. ‘A bit sadder, maybe. A bit wiser. But nothing rotten. You’re just growing yourself a rind at last. Still a good cheese.”
Frances Hardinge, A Face Like Glass

message 1: by Judy (new)

Judy OMG I love Frances Hardinge, just on the basis of the one book of hers I have read: Fly Trap. She has a unique point of view, not like any author I have ever read, and yet it felt so familiar to me. Thanks for reminding me to read her other books.

Nikki I've added her other books to my Christmas list, so hopefully I'll be reading Fly Trap et al soon too!

Larisa Thanks for recommending this book to me, Nikki. I loved it!

Nikki Oh yay! I'm glad to hear that. Must get round to reading Frances Hardinge's other work.

message 5: by Figgy (new) - added it

Figgy She has a new one coming out soon, sounds awesomely creepy:

Nikki Heh, I'm reading it literally right now -- got an ARC this morning.

message 7: by Figgy (new) - added it

Figgy Oh nice! I'll keep an eye out for your review. Have to remember to pre-order it through work!

Nikki Review's going up now in a minute!