Kajol's Reviews > Gates of Rapture

Gates of Rapture by Caris Roane

Nov 23, 2012

bookshelves: netgalley, vampires, romance, paranormal, magic-mumbo-jumbo, fantasy

4.3 stars!

An advance copy was provided by the publisher through Netgalley.

The story of Leto Distra and Grace of Albion is the one, that I have to say I liked most in the whole Ascension series, and not just because of the characters- because Jean-Pierre and Fiona win that trophy- but because of the whole, overall picture that was so nicely and entertainingly presented.

The best part about this book was that it was the most well-developed, well-written and consisted characters you could actually connect and sympathize to. The writing improved vastly compared to the prior books, and I have to say that I adored it.

For so long, my complaint has been about the use of a somewhat same story-line that shadowed every book— with such slight tweaks here and there, that the concept soon got ancient— and the lousy writing that would emerge without warning in particular scenes. This novel, surprises us with a roundabout look at the breh-hedden and the story which I really, really liked. Also, no one blamed Endelle for anything like the other protagonists had the tendency of doing in the previous books- and since she's my most favorite character in the whole series, I was immensely gratified.

The thing that I felt could be improved was, repetition. Like I said, the plot was more miscellaneous than any of the other books in the series, but the intimate scenes between the main leads has proved to be nigh the same in every book. Not 'what' they do or 'how' they do it, but the writing style, their dialogues, the situation, it's almost as if a broken record playing over and over again.
I wish the author would remedy that and come up with new ideas to sustain the carnal and emotional relationships between the protagonists because more often than not, I found myself drifting away from the story and just skipping those parts soon after the main leads got past the newness and well, on the price of being crude, have had sex with each other at least once.

You realize the odds of how excruciating it must have turned, when in a book of 431 pages- a lot of which were laden with these scenes- I've had to skip portions just because I grew weary of them. I'd suggest a refreshment in the language and writing used, although it must be said, that the author came a long way from the initial point where she'd started with Ascension, which if you think about it, is actually quite great.

I also thought that instead of retracing the same steps, instead of having the leads finally come together wholly- near the end- only after they've been hit with something huge and life-threatening, the author could find something new to delight us with.

And can I just say, how anxiously I await for Endelle's novel?

A small tid-bit: For a hardcore PNR ficiton and UF fan, it's easy to categorize and sort through moments that are so convenient and easy in sequence that they, in their complex simplicity, can be utterly ridiculous. Like it sometimes happens in the movies, you know.. the hero to kill the villain even while he's bleeding like the bloody Thames and already limp with a fracture. Ha, don't put any real effort here, just sit there and flex.

So I guess what I've been trying to state is that despite all the negatives, the author has fashioned the story into something a reader can truly relish and thus this novel has yet, proved to be the absolute best in the series(and I've been noticing a consistent improvement in the writing style and plot development from book four, which has lead to this remarkable progress here and now) and has actually prompted me to hold on and sit tight for the next ride. Also, it goes without saying, that I am going to read Endelle's book, so there's that to anticipate.

This review can also be read on-
The Dark, Delicious and Dreamtastic.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Gates of Rapture.

Aly is so frigging bored I agree with everything!

I want Endelle's book as well, she is the best! I didn't see some of the stuff happening with James, did you?

Kajol Yeah, me neither. Although I'm interested in finding out more and getting a nice surprise. Whatever the author does, I just want Endelle's book to be amazing. *sigh*

One can say that I'm pinning too many expectations to that installment and that it usually causes low spirits if the expectations aren't met, but I've resorted to the only tactic that beats everything else:

LALALALALA.. I CAN'T HEAR YOU. ENDELLE'S BOOK IS GONNA BE SO AWESOME. I CAN'T WAIT!!!
:P

Aly is so frigging bored =))))))))))) great tactic :))) you have to tell me how it's working for you :D

I wonder if the next book is hers or with Grace's twin and the ex-bad dude(witch btw, I liked more when we has misguided and a touch evil).

Kajol I think I read somewhere that the next book is going to be about Luken. And apparently this is the last Caris Roane book that'a to be published by St.Martin's Press.

Oh, anyway Luken's been all depressed about Havily, so I am curious as to how his story turns out. I just hope it's something really good. :D

Aly is so frigging bored Damn, really? Hoped it was the other dude...

Where did you read that? Dish more spoilers here :D

Kajol I read it in one of Caris Roane's announcement.

Kajol Oh, just googled, it's mentioned under the Ascension series page in Caris Roane's blog- under Gates Of Rapture details. And unfortunate as it is, there are no more spoilers to dish, except that Caris pumps encouragement as to how this wasn't the last book in the series and that she's going to be back with a bang with the next one soon.

Aly is so frigging bored Yhea... read about that... She said something about the next book, that it'll show more of the 3rd Earth.